Search Unity

Question How to use .so libraries in a Unity project?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lauchsuppe, Mar 2, 2021.

1. lauchsuppe

lauchsuppe

I am trying to use Microsoft Azure Kinect in my Unity project. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.
    I successfully installed the Azure Kinect SDK on my system. Afterwards, I copied over the installed .so files from my library (usr/lib/) to my Unity project (Assets/Plugins/x86_64/). They get recognized as plugins by the Unity inspector.

What I'm expecting is that I can now use them in my scripts with a using directive, e.g. "using libXYZ;". In the same way that on Windows, I would be able to use them like "using Microsoft.Azure".

Unfortunately, I'm getting a compile error when trying to use the copied .so files like that as they are not being recognized/ cannot be found.

This might be an error on my side, as I am not very experienced with Linux in general. But I don't understand what I am doing wrong or what I am supposed to be doing instead. My question is, how to correctly import these libraries so I can use them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Hi @lauchsuppe. Sounds like these are native binaries. In that case, you can't use them in C# code without using P/Invoke. Basically, for each exported function you intend to use, you need to create a wrapper function for it that tells managed code how to marshal the data to and from the native library.

It looks like some pre-baked wrappers are available if you follow the instructions in README.md at the Unity sample in the Azure-Kinect-Samples repository. You'll have to install nuget in order to download the packages, and I don't know if the wrappers have been tested for Linux or not.

3. lauchsuppe

lauchsuppe

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! Unfortunately, after downloading the packages and placing them in the project, it's still not working. So, I suppose the SDK is just not compatible with Unity on Linux.