Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

How to use Ray Tracing in 2019.3 b???

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by EddieChristian, Aug 27, 2019.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

How do we use Ray Tracing in 2019.3 b? I can't find any information on how to actually use it...

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

3. SKoptev

SKoptev

Ok, I have reproduced all that steps:
    - HDRP v.7.1.1
    - HD Render Pipeline Wizard: all statuses are green
    - Graphics API: DX12, GTX 2080ti videocard, fresh driver v.436.15 (08/27/2019)
    - ShaderConfig.hlsl edited, #define SHADEROPTIONS_RAYTRACING (1)
    - Scripting define symbols: REALTIME_RAYTRACING_SUPPORT; ENABLE_RAYTRACING
    - Ray Tracing Environment component added to scene (all settings by default)

Then, I created a new material (HDRP/Lit shader); added a sphere to the scene, with this material assigned.
    Finally, I change "rendering pass" parameter to "raytracing". Sphere just disappear.

There is no visible raytracing effects at all.
    What else do I need to do to get a minimal working raytracing setup?

Thanks!

JeppeSondergaard and soleron like this.
  4. Charles_Beauchemin

Charles_Beauchemin

Unity Technologies

5. seok-in-yoon

seok-in-yoon

When do you come up with a fully functional version of Ray Tracing?

soleron likes this.
  6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

2019.3 will have first experimental HDRP with DXR support when it releases. What we get now is even earlier, this is WIP from the upcoming experimental version :D Expect something more production ready during 2020 cycle.

7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

As a side note, I posted this already on the DXR thread, but I made this simple DXR test project where you have Sponza scene for GI test and HDRP Example scene for testing DXR in general. Should work out of the box now on 2019.3 if you have DXR capable system (repo comes with recent HDRP master that's setup for RT already).

keeponshading and OCASM like this.
  8. wenzy

wenzy

I met the same problem too,have u solved that now?

BrettCroomo likes this.
  9. SKoptev

SKoptev

I have updated Windows 10 version from 1809 to 1903, and raytracing have turned on.
    Also, look at Rizu project on GitHub (linked above) - it is properly configured for RT.

10. soleron

soleron

On my system everything is the latest everything is green, but the material disappears when switched to Raytrace.

BrettCroomo likes this.
  11. andrzej_

andrzej_

I have the same problem as described before, with the disappearing materials once raytracing is set as rendering pass in the material options. This is from the sample scene you've provided:
    upload_2019-9-30_14-1-48.png

soleron likes this.
  12. andrzej_

andrzej_

Well .. actually I solved (sort of) immediately after posting the previous reply. Added recursive rendering in the Raytracing Volume. In the Sponza scene had increase both max depth as ray length.
    One thing that's definitely not working properly is the material preview:
    upload_2019-9-30_14-16-33.png

soleron likes this.
  13. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Do you know if the Windows 1903 update is needed.
    I am currently in Unity 2019.3.0b6 and HDRP 7.1.2 and Windows 1809.

14. SKoptev

SKoptev

Hi!
    Definitely, this update is required (although the presentation says about version 1803). Upgrading to 1903 helped me.

15. soleron

soleron

I am on 19018 and still have these issues. the implementation is still very much a "hack".

We should only need to click one switch to enable DXR and everything should be automatically handled in the background and the feature to work.

Not having to check on 2-3 different menus and pray.
    Even the "fix all" option on the wizard does not guarantee it will work.

16. andrzej_

andrzej_

Agree. Was even planning on writing here a little rant about it.
    As much as I love Unity I have to admit that in UE4 raytracing just works. With Unity it's completely unpredictable. Even if you add all the necessary components, install packages, turn on settings (that's just not very user friendly) ... you still end up with a flickering scene, odd shadows, lighting and shader behaviour. At the moment it's completely unworkable. Checked with different editor versions, different hardware ... Hope this will be fixed, but for now I had to just drop using RTX from my plans.

soleron likes this.
unityunity