Search Unity

How to use PBR textures from websites for materials in unity

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by SCgames90, Jun 22, 2021.

1. SCgames90

SCgames90

Hello everyone,

can I simply download all textures for the material i want from a website and then put it into the corresponding material slot in unity or do I have to change them in some way?

Where I´m also struggling is the roughness part. Many texture websites provide roughness maps. If i undestand it correctly Unity reads the roughness map from the Alpha channel of the metal map. Does this mean that I have to put the Roughness texture into the metallic texture´s alpha channel by using some external program or do I misunderstand sth here?

Thx in advance :)

2. Passeridae

Passeridae

Which pipeline do you use? Built-in/HDRP/URP?

3. SCgames90

SCgames90

Built-in

However I would be also very interested in the other ones

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

All you do is import the textures into your project, then use them in your materials. Make sure to check the import settings if you have any probs, And this works for all unity versions.

5. SCgames90

SCgames90

That´s my problem. How am I supposed to use the Roughness map I for example use in Blener?

6. bgolus

bgolus

Most of Unity's shaders built in shaders use Smoothness instead of Roughness. The difference between Smoothness and Roughness is Smoothness = 1.0 - Roughness. Unity's shaders also want the smoothness packed into the alpha of a specular color, metallic, or albedo texture. The reason for this is because for real time rendering there are significant performance benefits to reducing the number of textures being used.

If you don't care about that, the built in renderer includes "Standard (Roughness Setup)" or "Autodesk Interactive" that let you use separate textures, including a roughness texture. Note: these are functionally the same shader for the built in renderer, it was just renamed at some point when they partnered with Autodesk a few years ago, but there's nothing really Autodesk specific about them. However the URP and HDRP have similar "Autodesk Interactive" shaders specific to those pipelines that also let you use a roughness texture.

One extra bit is if it doesn't look like the roughness matches between Unity and another program, you probably want to disable sRGB on the roughness texture's import settings. If it still doesn't match, that might just be down to a limitation of different programs using different specular lobes. URP especially will not built either the built in or HDRP as it uses blinn-phong and not GGX.

shijimi99, toxevo and warthos3399 like this.
  7. SCgames90

SCgames90

awesome thx! :)