Search Unity

How to use own animation with Unity 5 third-person controller?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Elzbach, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Elzbach

Elzbach

I placed my own model under Unity 5's ThirdPersonController after deleting the child Ethan. The model is able to move, but the animator isn't picking up changes in speed or jumping so no animations are playing, my model just stays in its idle animation. The animator on the ThirdPersonController however, is picking up all of these changes as I can see in the Animator window. I changed the avatar on the ThirdPersonController Animator to my model's avatar instead of EthanAvatar and the animations still do not play. When I change the Controller on it from ThirdPersonAnimatorController to my model's controller I get 999+ warnings that some parameters do not exist and the frame rate drops to 2.

How do I get my own animations to play under the ThirdPersonController?

stormAster720 likes this.
  2. Elzbach

Elzbach

It seems like the problem lies in the ThirdPersonUserControl script. When I copied over everything from the ThirdPersonController except for that to my model, there were no issues. I couldn't see the animation play since I had no way to control the model however. Once I added the ThirdPersonUserControl script I got the countless warnings and hit 2fps on play.

I'm not sure how to solve this though...

stormAster720 likes this.
  3. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi Elzbach,

This video should help you get going,

Regards Peter

4. uglyfatguy

uglyfatguy

I got the same problem http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ho...controller-in-unity5s-standard-assets.319102/
    Someone please help :(
    @pixelquaternion No we are talking about new Standard Assets in Unity 5.

----

Hey I figured out :D
    1. You must create Animator and Avatar for your Model.
    2. Replace Child ("Ethan") of the Prefab "ThirdPersonController" from Standard Assets with your Model.
    3. In "Inspector" of "ThirdPersonController" object, find "Animator" component, and choose your Model's Avatar (that you created at step 1) as it Avatar.
    Sorry if my English was bad, but I hope you got the point :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is useful for older versions of Unity but not useful for U5

6. eses

eses

Elzbach: Does your own Animator Controller actually have same parameters as Ethan character's Controller?

"When I change the Controller on it from ThirdPersonAnimatorController to my model's controller I get 999+ warnings that some parameters do not exist"

If you get this error, well then it's most likely you didn't add or removed accidentally some parameters from animator window. Check the tutorial video linked here, see if you have all the parameters ethan character's controller has.

Arch_Warlock: Why wouldn't this be useful for Unity 5? It's using the new Animator system, mostly same in 4.x and 5.

7. stormAster720

stormAster720

remeber to change the animation Type "Rig label" to Humanoid, that should work

AndreaPablo likes this.
  8. AndreaPablo

AndreaPablo

I have same problem. I'm working on Unity 2019.2. I think, it helps me. I'll write about it later, 'cause I'm working on a big project. Thanks in advance.

anna_stanczyk likes this.