Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to use Oculus Quest 1 to pass input to Windows and Unity Editor for development

Discussion in 'VR' started by lmshagames, Mar 10, 2021.

1. lmshagames

lmshagames

Hello unity devs!

I am starting a project for Quest 2 and i only have a Quest 1 for a while, i wanted to know if i can use the Quest to pass the input to the unity editor so i can develop on windows with the quest 1, using controllers and HMD.

I have a HTC Vive that i could use to simulate input, but in order to be able to move around and work from my home i would need to use the quest, because the VIVE is in the office and i cant move it from there :(

2. Dreamback

Dreamback

Yes, if you use "Oculus Link" to treat the Quest as a PCVR headset in Windows, you can use that in Unity to test and debug your apps in the Unity editor. It even supports Quest hand tracking, but only in the editor.

3. lmshagames

lmshagames

But does this work on Oculus 1?

4. Dreamback

Dreamback

Yeah, I realized my mistake and edited my post to just say your Quest. Works fine with Quest 1.

5. amaestas

amaestas

Unity Technologies

Hello Imshagames,

Yes you will be able to treat the quest as a pc vr headset via link. Keep in mind that when running in the editor you will be deving with DX11 and utilizing you pc graphics card.

Here is how to enable link https://support.oculus.com/394778968099974

Once that is done enable Oculus support from XR Plugin Management and ensure the Desktop loader is enabled. Now you'll be able to query the input from the device as you would the vive.

https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.4/Documentation/Manual/configuring-project-for-xr.html