Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to use Live face tracking

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by styGGx, Jul 16, 2021.

1. styGGx

styGGx

2. Ricardotlpz

Ricardotlpz

3. styGGx

styGGx

The following is mentioned there:
    So I'm pretty sure it is needed. I've read somewhere on the forums that they will be releasing a free version of this plugin though, which would be great because then I don't have to sell a kidney :p

Notitiadynamics likes this.
  4. Ricardotlpz

Ricardotlpz

Well, seems it only applies if you want to use live video, so I'd keep my kidney using pre-recorded video lol

5. philc_unity

philc_unity

Hi all. Unfortunately we cannot provide the guidance you are hoping for but here it is:
    • The Live simulation mode of MARS which enables face tracking workflows using a live webcam with the Editor is intended to be used with third party providers of face tracking technology.
    • Unfortunately we cannot recommend a third party provider at this time, though we are happy to talk to partners.
    • APIs are available for integrating custom data providers into MARS Live simulation mode. See the Providers section of the documentation for more. Third party custom solutions may exist, though Unity cannot recommend any at this time.
    • In the meantime, Recorded simulation mode is the recommended way to develop face tracked content using MARS.
    This is a known gap, so we will let you know if we can provide a better answer in the future.

6. x2stone

x2stone

I just register to MARS and installed it, just for the ability to test my face AR in live, trying everything for 30 min to finally fall here and discover that a 500$ third party plugin is required ?!?! Eh Unity guys, are you serious ? Why don't you use YOUR free plugin "Face Capture" instead of telling us to pay 500$ for another provider ???

7. x2stone

x2stone

Do you plan to give MARS the ability to have a real-time viewport face tracking preview using your existing and excellent « Face Capture » app (instead of your crazy idea to tell us to use a 500$ third party plugin) ?
    If yes, when can we hope to have it ?

8. Ricardotlpz

Ricardotlpz

Have you considered running a neural network for face detection using the barracuda package? I mean, it's not exactly the same and I don't know about the nature of your project, but that could work for you

9. x2stone

x2stone

Everything complicated with Unity, I'm thinking about switching to the unreal engine instead... That feature is built-in and easy to use.

Strider7 likes this.