Search Unity

How to use Content Size Fitter

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Marble, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Marble

Marble

I'm having some trouble understanding how to make LayoutElements adjust to their content. Can someone help point out my mistake?

I have a RectTransform—the background of a label. The background has a child with the label's Text. I've added a LayoutElement component to them both, and a Content Size Fitter to the parent. The Content Size Fitter has a preferred width of 50 and is constrained horizontally to the preferred width. The child text's RectTransform has a width of 200, so I would assume that the Content Size Fitter would force the parent to also have a width of 200. Instead, the parent changes width to whatever the preferred width is on its own LayoutElement, no matter what size its child is.

How can I get the parent RectTransform to know / adjust to the size of the child's width?

hellobody and PedroFabri like this.
  2. Melang

Melang

Content Size Fitter changes the rect width based on _this_ gameobject's min/preferred width. To change the preferred width of a gameobject based on child gameobjects' preferred width, you have to use Horizontal Layout Group on the parent together with Content Size Fitter.

3. Marble

Marble

Thanks Melang. That did the trick!