Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

How to use Cloth?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by alfchee, Mar 11, 2015.

1. alfchee

alfchee

Hi,

I have a game in which I have a flag, but that was using InteractiveCloth. Now porting the game to Unity3D 5 nothing of that works because is deprecated. Where I can learn how to use the Cloth for Unity 5??

2. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Good question here, the documentation says "TODO" so I guess we have to wait for them to write the documentation... è_é
    I'm looking for help too, we need to create some clothing for our characters.

3. alfchee

alfchee

4. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Wow nice, still better than nothing.
    I figured out how to create a cloth by trying things randomly until it worked.
    You will need a skinned mesh to make the cloth works. If you want colliders you can set them as trigger, it will work too (and that's great because I CAN'T create non trigger capsule colliders on my characters).

The darkest part is the "Edit constraints" button. Once you clicked on it a popup on the scene view will appear. The first thing is to select vertex on your skinned mesh. The thing I do is to select all vertex (Ctrl+A) and then I check "Max distance" option and set it to like 0.05. All the vertex will be green now. Max distance seems to be the distance in world units where a vertex can be to another one. 0.05 seems a good value for me. Now select only vertex you want to "stick" with your character (most of the time for a cape it's all the highest ones, on top of the cape). And then set the max distance to 0. And that's pretty much it !

Note that the color is always scaled to the vertex that has the highest max distance on your cloth.

I recommend you to set the Damping value on the Cloth component to something like 0.5, 0 will make your cape shaking in a weird way...

5. alfchee

alfchee

Hey!! thanks a lot for your explanation about the cloth, with that I started to test some values and go it. What I wanted to do is a Flag, so these are the values I used

Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 4.12.43 PM.png