Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to use clipmaps or any other method to make a very large open world?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Magnilum, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Magnilum

Magnilum

Hello,

I have been working on a project for some weeks now, trying to create a large open world.

I have found that many different techniques exist but I really don't know which one I should use and since each of them could take a long time to make, I would like to get some feedbacks before.

The goal is to have a landscape where we can see very far away without an ugly fog at some hundred of meters. Also, I would like to use control this terrain generation though hightmaps or terrain sculpting and not just get a random terrain with a perlin noise.

It seems that clipmaps can be a good method to perform it but I am struggling to find any documentation on it.

Is it only one mesh or many meshes composing a grid?

I have found this web site:

https://developer.nvidia.com/gpugem...-2-terrain-rendering-using-gpu-based-geometry

On this website, it seems that the grid is composed by many meshes but I saw on another that a person used only one mesh subdivided in blender to create the whole terrain. But may be I did not understand well.

I also found a conference made by the NASA on Unreal Engine:

I watched it to understand how they made it in Unreal and see if it was possible to make the same thing in Unity.

But I not sure to understand how clipmaps work. It runs on the GPU but does it mean that to generate collision, it is going to be more complicated?

I also watch the tutorial from Sebastien Lague on how to generate a infinite terrain generator:

I really don't know where to go and which method is better.

If you have any information, I would be pleased to read them.