Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to use a HTC Vive or Valve Index in 2020 Editor?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by ROBYER1, Dec 11, 2019.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

So since the OpenVR package is deprecated, and there isn't a replacement XR Loader with XR Management Subsystems, how do I use a HTC Vive or Valve Index in 2020 Editor?

I only just noticed this when moving from a work computer which I was developing with Oculus on to a home PC where I only have a Vive, this is a bit of a problem.

I can work around by making a project in 2019.x version of Unity, downloading OpenVR Desktop Package, copying the package from the Package Cache folder and moving it into the new project in 2020.
    After that I need to remove all new XR Subsytem Packages before I can use the legacy VR of OpenVR - this is a lot of effort!!!

Some communication or transparency on this would be appreciated

2. ndunsire

ndunsire

This is causing me a lot of issues right now as well. Don't have a solution yet..but if anyone has one, I'd love any recommendations!

TimCoster and ROBYER1 like this.
  3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

It's been almost a month and I'm still in the dark

Edit: Seen there is a hint that a new OpenVR XR Plugin will be coming sometime.. who knows when though
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/XRPluginArchitecture.html

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    imedianetwork2005 likes this.
  4. imedianetwork2005

imedianetwork2005

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/01/24/unity-xr-platform-updates/

"OpenVR Valve is using our XR SDK to develop their OpenVR Unity XR plugin for 2019.3. They will share more information on where to access it once it is available.

Until that plugin is available, built-in support of OpenVR will continue to be functional and available in 2019.3, and we will support our users with any critical fixes.

OpenVR will remain supported in Unity 2018 LTS, and developers can continue using OpenVR in their existing projects.

Note: Built-in support for OpenVR (OpenVR (Desktop)) has been deprecated in 2019.3.*"

6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Basically Unity threw the ball now at Valve but Valve doesn't give us any form of update either.

At the moment, OpenVR support is 100% missing from 2020.1 until Valve will get their new XR plugin out. This may happen tomorrow, next month or next year - there's no estimate even for the arrival.

I do hope this gets addressed some way before 2020.1 gets released but would also very much appreciate some official response on the current estimate for the OpenVR plugin delivery (for the new XR management system).

7. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I would imagine Valve is mostly all hands on deck for Half Life Alyx finalisation. While the scope of making their XR plugin work with all the input switcharoo logic/multiple device support is probably a massive undertaking. Whereas the other plugin companies only really had 1-3 devices to make their XR plugin work for.

I'd be interested to see if my assumption is wrong but they sure are radio-silent!

8. mgear

mgear

ROBYER1 likes this.
  9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Well, to be fair, that only says what we knew already. I'm really waiting for the actual info on the timing / plugin availability rather :) Maybe they were going to announce it on GDC or something, while GDC is now postponed they could still use the same schedule for releasing the info.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  10. petersmcrory

petersmcrory

Any updates? Is it best to use an old build of unity and SteamVR?

11. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

The OpenVR Unity XR Plugin has been available here since April 29th 2020

Please follow the quick start guide on the page and read the documentation before you get started in the link below

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/unity-xr-plugin

12. Heliosq

Heliosq

13. sunwangshu

sunwangshu

For my Valve Index prototype I gave up Unity 2020 and go back to 2018.4.12f1 with SteamVR unity plugin v2.0.1 and it's working quick and fine for now.

That said my Unity 2020.1.8f1 + SteamVR Unity Plugin v2.6.1 didn't work for my Valve Index somehow at the moment.