Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Upgrade Your Project to URP in Unity 2021.2.0b3

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by christianstamati, Jul 14, 2021.

1. christianstamati

christianstamati

Hi,
    Is it possible to convert assets from Standard to URP? I can't find the option:
    Edit > Rendering > Materials > Convert All Built-In Materials to URP

Protagonist likes this.
  2. Protagonist

Protagonist

It looks like it has moved to Window > Rendering > Render Pipeline Converter.

I had to press the Initialize Converters and then the Convert Assets buttons.

christianstamati likes this.
  3. christianstamati

christianstamati

I never expected to find it there!! Thanks @Protagonist :)

4. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

This feature completely mangles my (small!) project in 2021.2.b6, if it even finishes trying so, so I do not recommend it.

5. martint_unity

martint_unity

Unity Technologies

@Thygrrr I would love to hear which converters you initialized and what happened.
    If you only initialize the Material Converter and run converters, is it still "completely mangled"?
    It is a new system and we would like to get feedback so all feedback is welcome.

6. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

In principle, the feature sounds like a good improvement over the old upgrade workflow.

The material converters will simply not finish running in 2 out of 3 cases, (but seem to keep busy - endless loop?) and even a "successful" run logs errors aplenty.

The engine will then display a internal assertion failure regarding camera virtual render targets at any opportunity, making testing with Error Pause on a nightmare.

I use a camera stack, but I don't use render textures. I thought it had something to do with post processing, but it's just the overlay cameras, even with a freshly created default renderer on a virgin pipeline asset.

Most materials don't seem like they were touched at all. (my main materials were URP 11 mats).

The project is fine in 2021.1, and I selected the Upgrade path from a previous URP.

7. martint_unity

martint_unity

Unity Technologies

@Thygrrr thanks for the explanation.
    I just want to clarify one thing. Do you have all the converters enabled when you click Initialize Converters and Run Converters? Or only 1 (Material Converter)?
    I just want to figure out in which converter the issue might come from. We have a few converters already.
    Kind regards
    //
    Martin

unityunity