Search Unity

How to upgrade from URP to HDRP?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by DanVioletSagmiller, Apr 23, 2021.

1. DanVioletSagmiller

DanVioletSagmiller

I have a project that has been using URP. We had upgraded content with standard and custom shaders a few months ago to all URP. But now, we are trying to upgrade further to HDRP.

However, the automated things don't seem to have any concept of converting URP Lit to HDRP Lit. Is there any mechanism to do this? I.e., I let it do all its 'wizard' style updates on the project, but all the materials are still pointing to the URP shaders. And converting from URP Lit to HDRP Lit doesn't seem to carry the textures, colors, or other settings, even though there are comparable fields.

lacas8282 and FlightOfOne like this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

The new Render Pipelines were never meant nor made to be interchangeable. You would decide on one early on and stick with it for the rest of your project's life.

If you want to switch from URP to HDRP, you will need to manually recreating all materials and any custom shaders.

3. bgolus

bgolus

Yeah. It's a huge pain. There are a number of things that on the surface level seem like it should make converting between them easy, especially since the early versions of Shader Graph was designed in a way to make it seem like you could create a shader once and it'd work on both. But the URP and HDRP are both made by completely separate teams within Unity that don't really communicate a ton. The Shader Graph group is also separate and seem to be desperately trying to find some common ground between the two while they continue to diverge.

4. lraul

lraul

Hello, I was trying to find an automated solution as well (I'm pretty sure some one smart enough can do it) but found out how to do it manually.

If you load in the HDRP package into an existing URP project, and setup everything using the "helper" window at the very beginning, every URP shader will turn pink.

So, after that, open your shader graphs which need to be updated, and inside the Graph inspector click on the add button, and an HDRP option will appear, this will make it compatible with the render pipeline you are using and add a custom setting per pipeline.

Hope this helps!

upload_2021-10-15_20-26-36.png