Search Unity

Question How to transfer localized strings between different string tables

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by ColinPage, Jan 30, 2023.

1. ColinPage

ColinPage

I have a game with a lot of localized text. I've categorized these string keys and separated them up into multiple different string table collections. This has been useful, since I push and pull from a Google Sheets document, so each sheet tab corresponds to its own string table collection.

upload_2023-1-30_15-21-46.png

However, I find it difficult to re-organize these keys. How can I move one of these rows to a different sheet/table collection without breaking all references to it in Unity? Every table has the same locale columns, so I hoped it would be possible.

Or, is there a better organization method that I'm missing?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Unfortunately, this is something we don't support. Whilst it is possible to move keys and their ids to a different table it would not be possible to redirect any existing references from the old table to the new one. You would need to either write a script to crawl through the scenes/prefabs and change the references or modify your scripts.

3. ColinPage

ColinPage

Aw, that's too bad. Thanks for your response, though.

I suppose most people keep all string keys in one table collection. That method would be resistant to shifting organizational boundaries. Though I'd end up with a pretty massive singular spreadsheet, which sounds tricky to maintain as the project grows.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You can always organise your strings in a multiple sheets but store them in a single string table. You would need to write a pipeline the support this but we have all the required APIs.