Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to transfer game from Unity Free to Unity Pro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Azel, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Azel

Azel

Question:
    I know I will buy Unity Pro if I complete my game. But, I don’t want to spend that much money until I’ve completed the game. More than once in the past I have bought software and ended up not using it (or used it very little). For example I bought Lightwave and used it about a month before switching to modo. I don’t want to buy the Unity Pro version before I am sure I am going to succeed in completing my game.

If I make my game with the Unity Free version and complete it (or I am sure I will complete it), how much trouble would it be to transfer the game into the Unity Pro version? I mean, can I transfer the assets, scripts, etc. in one day or will it take weeks to rebuild the game in the Unity Pro version?

Do you see any problems in transferring my game from Unity Free to Unity Pro with such things as shadows or extra lights, which I will need?

Thanks
    Azel

2. JRavey

JRavey

It will open quickly, but you will need to add those features or enable them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You don't need to transfer anything into anything else. Unity Pro isn't a different app or anything, so there's nothing that will import, since you're just launching the same app you always use.

--Eric

4. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

As Eric said, Unity Pro isn't a different program.

All the Pro license will do is give you additional functionality. You would still open up your same project the same way. You wouldn't need to move anything anywhere.

5. Vert

Vert

You would only have to modify the resources that you want to use the pro features(such as change materials etc). Also, you would have to go and modify all shadow values to ensure optimized performance.

6. Azel

Azel

I want to thank everyone for their response to my question. It sounds like I should puschase Unity before I get too deep into my project in order to control materials, lights and shadows.