Search Unity

How to texture large surface?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Rtrouslot, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Rtrouslot

Rtrouslot

Hey ya'll, so this is the first time I'm trying to create a larger scene, and I'm having trouble with the wall textures. I'm trying to make the walls of a sewer look like concrete, and am trying to use a concrete material. When applied it's repeated across the whole thing and looks super bad. I'm sure there is a way better way to do this, I just don't know what it is and can't find an answer anywhere. I'm using probuilder to make my objects if that matters. Thanks to anyone that can assist! Here's a picture of what it looks like how I'm trying to do it now: View attachment 1078713

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

You image didn't work for me.

In general, a simple and effective way for breaking up the look of tiling across a large surface us to use a Detail Map: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameterDetail.html

The basic idea is, you can add extra detail onto your texture, to give it a feeling of dirt or imperfections across its surface. If the detail map using a different tiling, it will break up the wall texture.

For example, here's a concrete wall:

upload_2022-7-2_15-58-39.png

The repetition of the texture is jarring. Now I add a Detail map, but with the same tiling as the original concrete:

upload_2022-7-2_16-0-10.png

Looks terrible. But now, change the tiling to 0.1, or 0.2:

upload_2022-7-2_16-0-38.png

Now you pretty much don't see the repetition anymore. That's a pretty aggressive coloring, though, so adjust the detail map's intensity until you get a good blend:

upload_2022-7-2_16-2-0.png

Usually just above the point where you no longer notice the tiling of the base texture.

Anyway, there are other techniques, but this is a pretty easy one to use.

warthos3399 and BrandyStarbrite like this.