Search Unity

How to talk with top gamers for horror game design

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by hongwaixuexi, Sep 22, 2018.

1. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I'm beginning to think this person is a troll, or has some mental block that filters everything they read into some compartment of the brain that took off on vacation and never came back. I think all they really want to do is watch motivational youtube videos and dream.

2. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Are you going to grow into someone like that one day? Because you're saying you don't want to read. Mugilod, above me, has given you godly advice, I implore you read his statement more than once.

I think you're getting scared that you're gonna waste time, or at least use it inappropriately if you change course right now from practical production back into the learning phase. I ask you though, how many nights have you beaten yourself up over preconceived wasted time or not taking forward steps? Because those intro tutorials can be done in a day, and the knowledge there will stick with you your whole life. Stop thinking you're hurting yourself, devote a week or a month to doing some piddly tutorials. You F***ing owe it to yourself if you want to stand and speak like a man on the subject that you love. Otherwise you will always be at the mercy of ridicule and acceptance from people that you don't even know.

3. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

I don't know what you mean. I am still working and communicating, though it's not very smooth.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

You have too good a grasp of English to be able to say you don't understand.

5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Just keep working, following tutorials, producing gameplay. Post your progress. Get feedback. Run into technical walls? Ask away. Mindless

In the meantime, stop thinking about the future. Set aside time for that when its necessary. Recognize when it is wasting your own time. You got to organize your time. Organize the way you think. Your mind is the tool you have to learn to master. The software is nothing. That just comes with time and experience. But if you can't master the tool between your ears, you'll always just be mediocre.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

I studied a lot of tutorials and tried may different gameplays from asset store before I post questions in forum. I think it's time to shift focus from studying to practical product. I am at the stage beween learning tutorial and making practical prodcut. At this stage, aksing qeustions and identifing strongness and weakness. So I post questions in several forums, getting feedbacks and analyzing them.

I am prepared to make a practical game. I am in the transistion stage, from a beginner to a game developer. I don't know the definition of wasting time, sometimes it is a cost.

7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Just keep making lots of games man. You'll know when you are ready to start seriously considering selling them.

If you can get some friends playing your games, and you just keep making more games -- working hard to analyze each one and improve on the next -- your friends will start getting their friends to play your games, and if you can amass a small following of people who are eager to play your games, however simple they are, you'll know you are tapping into that fun factor. And that's all a game has to be -- fun.

In the future, you'll get a job in the industry, make contacts, save money -- that's the time to start planning your masterpiece games.

Ryiah likes this.
  8. CyberInteractiveLLC

CyberInteractiveLLC

I didn't read any of the replies so maybe already suggested but I highly recommend you play the top horror games and see what they do well

Examples:
    1- Outlast Series
    2- Resident Evil 7
    3- Alien Isolation
    etc