Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to take exported unity files and combine into 1 package for distribution

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RandomCharacters, Mar 10, 2020.

1. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The Mac build already is a single file, as far as the user's concerned (it is an application bundle which appears like a single file). An installer isn't really needed. I generally just zip the app and distribute that.

Other people put their app on a disk image (.dmg). Personally, as a user, I'm not a huge fan of that, as it's just extra steps I have to go through (mounting the disk image, dragging the app off, unmounting the disk image, and throwing it away). But it's quasi-standard.

Finally, if you really feel you must have an installer, .pkg is the standard format. There is an app called Packages that builds these; I've never used it, but it comes highly recommended. I would only go this route if your game needs other stuff installed in various places throughout the system. If your game is a nicely self-contained app that doesn't do this, then don't annoy the user with an installer; ship as a .zip or .dmg.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's right. On a Mac, that will appear as a single file app, like any other.

I think it's fine. But some devs appear to think a disk image looks more professional, so perhaps that's the right option for you.