Search Unity

How to Switch Lightmap Compression for iOS from PVRTC to ASTC?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by specular12, Jan 28, 2019.

1. specular12

specular12

Hi all, How can I switch the Lightmap compression setting for iOS from the default of PVRTC to ASTC? That is, I can't find the dialog box or setting. I'm using Baked GI and the PVRTC looks really horrible. When I set to uncompressed (Lightmapping Settings / Compress Lightmaps: unchecked) the shadows look great, but I'm afraid the Lightmaps will be too large. So I'd like to use ASTC and stick to Apple A8 (iPhone 6) and above.

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Select your lightmap in the Project window > in the Inspector panel, scroll down to the bottom to the texture size and compression settings > select iOS/Mobile icon > override the settings to your liking

3. The-Gabo

The-Gabo

is there a way to change the settings of all the lightmaps in one go.

i change the compresssion to etc2 in the android player settings but can't find it in ios player settings

AlejMC likes this.
  4. AlejMC

AlejMC

I think the main issue here is that iOS is using a less quality tolerant encoding such as PVRTC or ETC2 by default.
    I think by now, where all iOS devices would support ASTC (iPhone 6s's and up), the encoding settings could very well be the same as with tvOS or have the option to have them ASTC that is.

EDIT followup: it would also probably need the ASTC pre-processing trick for HDR images to have a pristine HDR compressed image afterwards, there's a thread running with it:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/high-quality-rgbm-texture-compression-with-astc.810516/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020