Search Unity

How to SUCCESSFULLY market/Sell something on the asset store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DouglasPotesta, Sep 23, 2017.

1. DouglasPotesta

DouglasPotesta

This is not "how to." this is "how to?"

I've been working on a cool editor package which automates the billboarding process for games. I don't know any specific people who are actually interested in said product though.

I know this tool is extremely useful and can save teams a lot of time and fps. I have trouble finding out how to let people know there is a better solution than the current workflow.

Concrete ideas

Demo video & Promo video
    I know how to make good demo real videos, and plan on developing one once the product is done.

Provide support for the product.

Uncertainties

How should I go about reaching out to people in the real world?
    This tool is amazing! It turns billboarding an outdoor scene into a simple click. I know any team working in large outdoor environments will create workflows with a billboarding process in mind. I want this tool to be something that is considered for these moments.

Is there a way to advertise for the asset store?
    I would love to pay for some advertising, but where would these adds go. Can I just pay unity to feature my product, or are products only featured based on popularity?

How do I determine a price?
    I've seen a lot assets do tier pricing. Like if you get the pro version, then you get this one extra feature that for some people is a must, but for most it is not. Is tiered pricing frowned upon nowadays. Or is a price tag even a question at this point. Should I wait to see what kind of interest I get first before declaring any potential numbers.

This stuff has helped
    The 10 commandments of asset promotion – Unity Blog
    Launching a successful product on the asset store – Unity Blog

Gifs of what I've been working on
    In case you didn't get what my product is. It is a tool for creating flat 2d lods in the unity editor.

Tool Interface

Tool OutPut

davidrcomposer and ROBYER1 like this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well I would first suggest you make a post in general discussion that's fairly innocent that generally talks about marketing, while slipping your own assets in on the side to get some sneaky exposure. When that random hippo guy turns up and catches you with your pantaloons down, you should flat out deny any wrong doing with a mildly outraged tone of voice.

(Never mind me, carry on)

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Market where game developers hang out. Forums like this one, TIG source, Newgrounds dev logs, itch.io, game jolt etc etc.
    Matter of fact you could create a itch.io page dedicated directly to marketing your content in the Unity asset store, as well as sell on that site. facebook page probably, though I know little (and proud of it!) of that realm of the www.
    Twitter is good for marketing. You could create screen shots for screen shot saturday. People are always drooly over environment landscape arts.
    The asset store sub thread is there for promoting and also support of your existing assets. Just don't over do it - on the non-update - updates.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Ummm... Why build it then? If you want to be successful on the asset store, find a need that actual people have. Then fill that need. People will then find your asset fairly naturally via google.

Making an asset that noone wants or needs is the easiest way to fail on the asset store.

theANMATOR2b and Ryiah like this.
  5. DouglasPotesta

DouglasPotesta

I first starting making the asset for myself, but realized that it was a super useful tool. Triple A studios all use similar tools, so I figured it had a place in the unity community as well. I guess your right though. If people really want it they'll find it.

6. Stringwizard5

Stringwizard5

Perhaps another good way to phrase this question would be:

Does unity offer any kind of promotion campaigns? Is there a way/process to get featured front and center, etc...?

It’s no secret that unity definitely does push products for people. Typically it’s because these products are deemed very useful or made with outstanding quality… Even so, I’m sure making a quality product is not the only step in the process… Is there a particular process or procedure that unity follows to make these great quality assets known?

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  8. ikazrima

ikazrima

Amplify published their asset 1 year after the OP post. OP had probably moved on.

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Like most online stores, Unity promotes products that do well. Don’t rely on Unity to do your initial promotion. But once your asset is selling well, they will step in and help.

10. This is why I hate necro-posting, I was busy, I walked into this... :D

ikazrima and AndersMalmgren like this.
  11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

haha, same.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Clearly you weren't busy enough. :p

Lurking-Ninja likes this.