Search Unity

How to Stop Files From Opening Multiple Tabs in Visual Studio 2017?

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by Skyboard_Studios, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Skyboard_Studios

Skyboard_Studios

It seems after a few sessions of coding my visual studio just gets overloaded in open files. I have searched all over in the options/settings and have no luck in trying to stop this behaviour from happening.. . it just becomes a spam fest of open files with colon's after the file names....

filename.cs
    filename.cs:1
    filename.cs:2

I have taken a screen shot to show what is happening... I like having all my actively editing scripts open so I can quickly open the needed project files when I want... I do not want to have to "Close all files" and then reopen each one separately... seems once I have all my files open that I am activily using... it is all good and then all of a sudden it isn't... seems I just have a boat load of files everywhere....ughhhhh

Hope this pic shows a taste of what is happening.

2. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

3. Skyboard_Studios

Skyboard_Studios

excellent. I was blown away on how big of a issue this really is. I see it has raised the question of race conditions. I have wondered at times if I have lost code accidentally accessing the wrong file.. but they all do seem synchronized...

I will be looking for the 15.9.4+ updates.

Just updated my VS to 15.9.3 (seems I was at 15.9.2)

3+ sessions now (of course after I cleaned up all the :1 :2 :3 files after update) and reloaded my base project files... it looks like all is good. no more duplicates. whoo hoo!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018