Search Unity

How to start with this Lost Vikings-like multiplayer puzzle game?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Endarire, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Endarire

Endarire

Intro
    Greetings, all!

I'm fairly new at Unity. I've experimented with certain aspects and done some tutorials, but nothing that seemed spiffy enough to sell.

However, due to Unity's versatility and its large asset store, I'm strongly considering it for a game project. Thus, since someone else has already made tutorials or/and asset store assets for this game type (engine, etc.), what should I most consider, how to obtain these, and what else should I know?

Thankee!

(I also wasn't sure where to put this post. If this would be better placed elsewhere, please move it.)

Game Pitch
    Multi-character, one player or multiplayer (local or online), puzzle platformer akin to The Lost Vikings.

Gameplay Overview
    Gameplay-wise, each level has access to a certain list of characters, controlled one at a time by a player. (In multiplayer mode, each player controls one character.) A maximum of 4 players can each play 1 character at a time. If the level allows more than this, these other characters are kept in reserve to be swapped at certain tiles.

The moment-to-moment play is about moving the units around a level, manipulating objects like switches and buttons, to allow all units to reach the level's exit or otherwise complete the required objective(s).

Each level has at least 2 optional objectives and 1 required objective. The optional objectives are generally "collect X" and "complete this level within Y time."

Each unit has at least 1 special ability (activating objects unique to them or shooting arrows or placing platforms in liquid, etc.). All units can do certain basic things like move, jump, hover, pick up/throw certain objects (including other playable characters), and manipulate many/most objects like buttons and switches.

While there is combat and one character specializes in shooting a bow to damage/disable/destroy enemies, I wanted to heavily deemphasize fighting compared to typical RPGs. Enemies don't kill player characters, but can inflict a variety of status ailments upon them like slowing, stunning, or blinding (screen turns all black). Falling into a pit/etc. doesn't deal damage, but resets that character's position to the last solid tile he stood upon.

2. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

From what I've seen of it, Lost Vikings is a bit like a multiplayer version of Lemmings, have a look at some YouTube footage of the game and go from there.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

From a technical point of view, it sounds like just a basic platformer to me. You don't need any special engine for it or anything. You probably don't even need (or want) to use the physics engine for a game like this.

But check out my article "2D Animation Methods in Unity". It may have some handy ideas for you.

Tset_Tsyung likes this.
  4. Endarire

Endarire

This is meant to be more cartoony and traditionally video gamey than physical reality.

Anything special for the ability to swap characters mid-level? (Each player controls a maximum of 1 character at a time with a separate camera for each that is attached to that character. Swapping characters is mapped to a keyboard key or XBOX controller button. Any characters on the playfield not controlled by a player just stay where they are (or, if they're swapped in midair, may fall and be transported back to the previous solid space on which they stood as normal.)

5. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

No, not really. Although I would say that you don't NEED to have separate cameras. When you player changes the active character you could just 'Lerp' or 'smooth damp' the camera to the new character - this will provide a, well, smoother feel and won't be so jarring.

As for the 'switching character's' mechanic itaelf, the limit to possible methods is only your imagination. No doubt someone will have a better idea, but one way you could do it is this:

Have a controller script on non-physical object with references to your 3 player characters (this could be an array, list, or custom class with reference to the "next character" with last pointing back to first - hopefully I haven't lost you lol). This will take input from the player.

Each input from the player will simply update the active character (a reference of which is in the controller script itself as mentioned)

This controller script can also update the camera as to whether the player is panning the screen, or has just locked onto a new active character... or whatever.

... of course I'm just spitballing here... your own ideas are prob much better lol.

JoeStrout likes this.