Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to start with a simple Animation

Discussion in 'DOTS Animation' started by Santonian, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Santonian

Santonian

Hello everyone,

I have a little (almost) pure ECS project. I am using the latest DOTS Release 0.5x with 2020.3 (switching to 2021 soon) and I did understand, that I cannot use the DOTS Animation package anymore.

I am working on a base building game in isometric view and want to have a door with an opening animation.

What is the best way to handle this with my setup and at this point of the dots development state?

I know this has been asked before, but after the dots release 0.5x, I am not sure what to do and what to look for.

I anyone could point me in the right direction this would be highly appreciated.

thx
    Reinhard

2. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

3. Santonian

Santonian

Hi,
    thank you for the reply.

After reading https://forum.unity.com/threads/animation-status-update-q2-2022.1266089/ I was under the impression that I could use Mecanim with 0.5x but that was obviously an incorrect assumption.

Anyway, I looked a little bit into VAT, thank you for pointing that out, but right now, that's too sophisticated for what I want to do right now.
    I bookmarked the github, I might need that later down the line.

Hence I only have the need to do very simple translation-based animation. (e.g. sliding a door open) I will go with your first option. That should be fine for my prototype, even though I would have liked to dive into the Animation stuff... but one has to stay focused, right? ;-)

cheers
    reinhard

4. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

5. ThynkTekStudio

ThynkTekStudio