Search Unity

Question How to start an animation from an unspecified postition

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ljcorb762056, Apr 1, 2023.

1. ljcorb762056

ljcorb762056

So I'm doing this "Interactive experience" thing as a project and all the animations are legacy because I'm using anim.Play(), was just wondering if i could scale/position objects without specifying the starting point? eg the user has 7 different positions, but once they hit a button no matter where they are they scale up to 1,1,1 and reposition to 0,0,0, without making 7 different animations because that is tedious.
    Doesn't have to use legacy animations as long as I can play it from a script, or maybe it is a script itself, not sure how it would work.

I'm very new to animating and programming for unity, so I am just using the built in animator and visual studio, sorry if I don't understand a lot of it.

2. Lifee00

Lifee00

I dont quite understand what you are trying to do there, could you explain further.

3. ljcorb762056

ljcorb762056

In this project there are 7 possible positions the player could be in, but once they hit a specific button, no matter where they are, they should move to 0 and their scale is set to 1. The current way I have it set up is with separate animation clips for every possible position, but is there a cleaner way to do this?

4. Lifee00

Lifee00

I mean, it really depends on your game, arent you controlling the movement and scale with a script, then just add +movement animation? Not sure why you would need 7 different animations for the same thing.

5. ljcorb762056

ljcorb762056

What is the code for controlling with a script?
    The reason I have 7 different animations is because each movement is a premade one, and the animation clip is just moving the player from one position to another with 2 keyframes, it isn't very practical tho.

Edit: I figured it out. For any other newbies like me, this is the code, using the first two lines for the scale and transform, and the last 2 for saving the position and returning to it later

Code (CSharp):
    1. transform.localScale = new Vector3(1, 1, 1);
    2. transform.position = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
    4. yourGlobalVariableHere = transform.position;
    6. transform.position = yourGlobalVariableHere;

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  6. Lifee00

Lifee00

7. VictoriaCentci

VictoriaCentci