Search Unity

How to spawn different game player prefab with gui lobby manager?

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by dworm, Jun 18, 2015.

1. dworm

dworm

Is it possible if you have different kind of players to decide which one to spawn?

2. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

The NetworkLobbyManager has virtuals you can override:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         public virtual GameObject OnLobbyServerCreateLobbyPlayer(NetworkConnection conn, short playerControllerId)
    2.         {
    3.             return null;
    4.         }
    6.         public virtual GameObject OnLobbyServerCreateGamePlayer(NetworkConnection conn, short playerControllerId)
    7.         {
    8.             return null;
    9.         }

DigohD likes this.
  3. DigohD

DigohD

Hi!

I want to use this method in order to add custom made lobby entries in a UI. However, the entries do not show up on the connected clients, only to the host. Seanr, do you know what might be wrong? This is my code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override GameObject OnLobbyServerCreateLobbyPlayer(NetworkConnection conn, short playerControlID){
    2.         GameObject newLobbyPlayer = (GameObject) Instantiate(lobbyPlayer, lobbyPlayer.transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    3.         newLobbyPlayer.transform.SetParent(entryPos, false);
    4.         NetworkServer.Spawn(newLobbyPlayer);
    5.         return null;
    6.     }
    Edit: It would be helpful if you have any idea of what the default code would look like as well :)

4. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

in those functions you should create an object and return it. you are returning null.

5. Ahkilleux

Ahkilleux

Also, I'm pretty sure your parent relationship will not replicate to clients. So if you, like me, are spawning ui elements you intend to replicate to the client. They will not have a parent canvas on the other side.

EDIT: Also, do not spawn in OnLobbyServerCreateLobbyPlayer. That method is intended to instantiate. Spawning there will cause the networklobbyplayer to enter lobby without it's slot property set correctly and possibly have a lot of other problems.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  6. Eiseno

Eiseno

How can i make this with user can select their prefab.I think i need varible for this.But i cant figure how can i do this.

unityunity