Search Unity

How to source character animations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SamohtVII, May 15, 2019.

1. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

So I have for the first time reached a point where I would like to download a humanoid model and create some very basic movement. I have the human model and have rigged a free idle animation asset to it.....cool.

I have looked into the animation component and see the key framing of all the limbs are ridiculous. So i'm wondering, how can any normal person create any realistic walking, waving etc without some sort of mocap set-up?

Am I destined to be looking for animation assets as I wouldn't be able to create fluid realistic movements myself?
    or is it not as hard as i think?

Thanks

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's more time consuming than it is difficult. You do realise that people did this before mocap was even really an option, right?

3. RichardKain

RichardKain

Animation is one of the most mind-numbingly dull, time-consuming disciplines on the planet. You have to have a glacial degree of patience in order to perfect the craft correctly.

You are, frankly, much better off lowing your standards for animation drastically. The higher quality, and more fluid and natural your animation, the more time it will take to produce it. Simple, basic animations won't look as impressive, but your sanity will thank you.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You mean the animation tools in Unity? They're not designed for that type of work, they're intended for far simpler things.

For full character animation and such you'd typically do it in the 3D modelling tool - Maya, Blender, etc. - and export it with your model. The tools there are far less painful as they're designed for that type of animation.

That aside, I suggest checking out Mixamo. You'll probably still need to make custom animations if you have anything unique, but their library might get you off to a solid start.

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

We have bought animations on the store and adjusted them using UMotion Pro.

6. tawdry

tawdry

There are various ways to achieve fluid animation apart from mocap they are all time consuming as mentioned earlier