Search Unity

Question How to setup Controllers with hand visible?

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by JosvdH, Jan 3, 2023.

1. JosvdH

JosvdH

Hallo
    I followed Justin P Barnet's tutorial and it works perfectly. I can move forward and rotate with my controllers.
    I also have a quest2.

However I cannot get my controllers to be visible with hands.
    I first tried with a controller I downloaded from the site below.
    developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-controller-art/
    But I can't get the controller to be visible.
    If I link my quest with the cable and set up my quest without entering playmode I do see the controllers with hands and even part arms. See Attachmend.
    As it can be seen there I would also like to see in my Unity project in playmode.
    Does anyone know how to get the controllers with hands visible at all in your Unity project?

Attached Files:

2. Axel0689

Axel0689

good morning Jos. In your Quest 2 when you start it you see hands and controller because everything is set up for it to do so. Whereas on unity you have to add, if you use the XR Interaction Toolkit, the prefabs of the hand or controller models. (as in the picture) as children of "LefHandController" and "RightHandController" within XR Origin.

W6eQbxnxNu.png

or Alternatively, you could simply attach one of the models in the 'Model Prefab' section within the (Action-based) XR Controller in the LefHandController or RightHandController (Which in my image I renamed then LeftHand and RightHand.):

1Ej9Ud7AGZ.png
    I hope everything is clear. If you have any problems let me know. As for the fact that both hands and controllers are displayed in your Quest 2, it is simply because the software has already set everything up correctly. And it is slightly different from the settings on Unity. One would have to ask Meta how he did it.

3. JosvdH

JosvdH

Through Unity forum I came to the topic below.
    I followed MrDecisive's directions.
    upload_2023-1-5_20-26-34.png
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/xr-...roller-models-on-player-hand-location.950082/
    So my controllers are now visible. However I still need to add the letters somehow. That is a .png file.
    upload_2023-1-5_20-24-59.png
    Then I went looking to add the hands as well.
    I followed the tutorial below for that.
    upload_2023-1-5_20-27-11.png
    https://medium.com/datastuffplus/us...and-animations-with-unity-xr-kit-e707b6acb0a2
    With that I also added the hands.
    upload_2023-1-5_20-25-46.png
    So now I see the hands containing the Quest controllers.
    I already changed the collor.
    However I cannot get the movement of the fingers added.
    At some point you have to drag the CustomHand models from the hierarchy into the script. And that's where it goes wrong, I can't get the CustomHand models dragged into the script.

Axel0689 likes this.
  4. JosvdH

JosvdH

Ok, i found this turotial:

Now my fingers moving. But it's not quit natural but it's a starting.

Axel0689 likes this.