Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to setup Blender 2.78 to work with Unity 5.5 under Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by bigkahuna, Dec 13, 2016.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Because I may have to edit some older projects, I have multiple versions of Blender and Unity on my dev system. In order to launch Blender 2.78 on my system I have to use a batch file to set the Python path, like this:

set PYTHONPATH=""
    cd C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\
    start blender.exe

Unfortunately, that doesn't allow Unity to properly import a .blend. :(

Is there another way to make this work? Are there any other ways of getting different versions of Unity and Blender to play together nicely on the same machine?

2. mariusz

mariusz

..that's why exporting to fbx IMHO is the way to go...

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

True. Unfortunately I'm working on a project that has .blend files in it. I might just import those models into Blender and export as .FBX, but then if I click on the files in the Unity editor to edit them in Blender, I'll run into the same issue all over again.

4. mariusz

mariusz

I don't know how you organize project files. In my case (by default only exporting to fbx) I keep blend files separated from Unity project. Templates created for fbx export in Blender makes it easy to fix model and export again.
    Now I'm using Houdini Indie but the same workflow. Houdini and Substance files, textures in psd, music projects from Ableton Live everything is in big source project folder and only ready files are in Unity project folder. And in addition we're using git so that would be unnecessary pushing files that no one uses :) But I'm not saying that this is right way :) It's my way. :)