Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to set up the new Water System

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Rowlan, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I've been trying to find out how to set up the new water system that came initially with 2022.2.0a9. It wasn't that straightforward, so I thought I'd make a post for others.

* Project Settings > Quality > HDRP > Rendering > Water

s1.png
    * Project Settings > Graphics > HDRP Global Settings > Water Rendering

s2.png
    * Hierarchy > Water Surface > Ocean

s4.png

In case everything is white like it was for me, adjust the Exposure in your Sky and Fog Volume.

Looks like this then:

game.jpg

2. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

In case nothing is showing with all those steps, make sure that Water is enabled under
    Graphics > HDRP Global Settings, Frame Settings (Default Values) in the "Rendering" Foldout upload_2022-4-6_10-35-45.png

Also, for the Water Rendering override, you can just add it in a volume to your scene like any override.
    You don't HAVE to use the default volume profile asset in Graphics > HDRP Global Settings.

3. wm-VR

wm-VR

Is the water system also compatible with Unitys path-tracer?

4. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Nope, sorry :)

5. VRS3DGuru

VRS3DGuru

How do you add this into 2022.1.7f1 manually?
    Is there a specific preview package we can add to start working with it before 2022.2.1 is released?

6. Ad

Ad

Hello,
    I've followed the above and still have no water rendering.
    You mention Project Settings > Quality > HDRP > Rendering > Water
    There is no option for CPU

https://imgur.com/a/zGaFwtc

all other options regarding water are ticked.

Sys spec : ryzen 5 3600 CPU
    AMD RX480 8GB GPU
    using windows 10 home edtion.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

7. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

If you already checked, Frame Settings, HDRP asset, Volume Override (which technically should be enough), you can try two other things.
    • Try reimporting HDRP (Right click on Packages/High Definition RP folder and reimport), sometime some shader can be corrupted and prevent some effect to be working properly
    • Close project, delete library folder and re-open.

8. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

I am using Unity 2022.2 beta, and doesnt work, i have all water options activated, i create an Water surface object and no water is rendered. I dont have some of the options shown, also can't find anywhere the Volume override mentioned in last post. I reinstalled hdrp as mentioned in last post and that just made the project not work at all, there is not global settings for hdrp and get lot of errors.

9. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

I removed the project, created a new hdrp project and just activated water system in hdrp global and in quality hdrp, then created a Water surface object of ocean type, pressed play and no water is rendered

10. Marked

Marked

did you added Water Rendering to your global volume ?

upload_2022-8-29_8-28-51.png

11. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

Yes, found the problem some days ago, the problem is that besides that you need to add water as one more volumetric effect ins hdrp settings

buc likes this.
  12. alias

alias

i followed all your steps and i also didnt get a water surface only the icon.

then i added a global volume to the project, and add the water component checked all the boxes.
    and yes there is now visual water

13. alias

alias

anyone knows how too get buoyance on like boats? like they move with the waves?
    i know there is 2d buoyance. but i couldnt anything like this for the new water system.

which looks really good. with the caustics and underwater settings.

14. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Depending on which version you are, the WaterSurface script, there's an API to query the projected position of the current water surface at a specific position (basically to make an object stick to the surface).
    After that, it's up to users to create the buoyancy system depending on their needs !

15. alias

alias

Depending on which version you are, the WaterSurface script, there's an API to query the projected position of the current water surface at a specific position (basically to make an object stick to the surface).
    After that, it's up to users to create the buoyancy system depending on their needs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im on 2022.0b4 beta.

too bad it isnt a physic droppdown option.
    like you have with the 2d Buoyancy

16. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Then you should be able to query your WaterSurface with this function FindWaterSurfaceHeight()

Yep, for now it's completely independent on the Physics system.
    This can be revisited in the future but there's still many important work to do on the water system before that.

17. Rowlan

Rowlan

@chap-unity Is there some integration or instruction about how to use rivers with the unity splines?

18. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Sadly, no. For now water system is not integrated with any other system. You have to feed it custom geometry if you want something specific.

19. shikhrr

shikhrr

I hope the unity splines package gets integrated into water and terrain systems like unreal. This is important, a lot of users would love that.

Marcos-Elias, graskovi and chap-unity like this.
  20. NightElfik

NightElfik

Is it expected that water does not work when MSAA is enabled (forward rendering)? I have spent too much time figuring out why water is not rendering and MSAA was the culprit. Is there any way to get water + MSAA? (Unity 2022.2.0b8)

21. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, sorry about this one. Water is just not compatible with it and right now, it will throw a bunch of errors.
    It has been "fixed" on our side by not being able to enable MSAA if you have water enabled in the HDRP asset (same as raytracing for exemple).

In the future, maybe a fallback will be made but for now, it's just not supported.

Edit : This "fix" will be backported to 2022.2 as well.

22. NightElfik

NightElfik

Thanks for the answer. I am curious what technical limitation causes this? How MSAA interfere with water rendering/simulation?

23. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

It's because the rendering algorithm for water surfaces is only deferred (there's no forward version of it).
    Since MSAA is only compatible with forward rendering.. that settles it.

24. ebaender

ebaender

Is anybody else experiencing this issue where caustics are rendered as triangles?

This is in a fresh outdoors template in 2022.2.0f1 with nothing but water and a plane underneath it added, HDRP and water surface are on default settings otherwise.

upload_2022-12-13_9-49-50.png

25. ebaender

ebaender

Talked to a Unity dev on Discord about this issue, as expected it's another easily reproducible issue on AMD GPUs.

Kind of sad that I'm the first to notice something this obvious since the water system has been in development for some time. This is a pretty tame case since this isn't a crucial feature in an LTS release for once, but still another clear indicator that Unity simply isn't developed or tested on desktop AMD cards.

At this point not buying into Nvidia has become an actual liability, and I'm feeling more and more like I no longer have a choice unless I'm willing to put up with tons of downtime writing bug reports, looking for workarounds, and potentially missing a deadline over undiscovered AMD-specific issues that may or may not be fixed in time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    shikhrr and impheris like this.
  26. impheris

impheris

Wow that is really bad

unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ likes this.
  27. Patrudoizero

Patrudoizero

It works great in Game mode and Editor, but the water does not show in build.

28. jasonrobertnelson

jasonrobertnelson

What does it mean when "Water" is not under these settings. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks.

29. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

If you can't see "water" under the HDRP default frame settings or "Water Rendering" in the override list, it just means that you are using an older version of Unity where Water is not supported yet.

For reference Water is available starting from 2022.2 with a limited amount of features. (And we only backports bugs there)
    And the development continue in 2023.1 alphas with more possibilities added.

30. stojic

stojic

How did you make reflections work , mine only reflects sky maybe

31. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

If by reflection you mean Screen Space Reflection, then since water is considered a transparent you need to activate SSR on transparent for it to work correctly. There's 3 things to do:
    • Check the frame settings
    • Check the setting on the HDRP asset
    • Enable it in the Screen Space Reflection override.

Keep in mind that SSR on transparent have some limitations like, PBR accumulation fallbacks to approximation, reflection is always smooth, no sky... etc

32. Laatikkoz

Laatikkoz

Why I dont have that water system in my unity settings. I use unity 2022 beta

Attached Files:

• b'.png
      b'.png
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
  33. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

You probably use an outdated version if you are still in beta (eventhough it should be there in beta anyway).
    Update to any official 2022.2 release and it should be there.

34. benjamin_flashbulb

benjamin_flashbulb

Hello. Was the Water system removed from 2022.3 (LTS)/HDRP 12.1.8?

upload_2023-6-2_9-42-41.png

upload_2023-6-2_9-42-50.png

35. VOTRUBEC

VOTRUBEC

upload_2023-6-2_17-47-24.png

I just installed 2022.3. My HDRP version is 14.0.7. It looks like you might need to upgrade your packages.

chap-unity likes this.
  36. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

Do you guys know where the HDRP water sample is? It was supposed to be under the HDRP samples but I don't see it.

37. shikhrr

shikhrr

I think it requires HDRP 16.

38. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, it's available in 23.1 and 23.2. The water in 22.2 LTS is missing some key features (like deformers / excluder) to make the samples works correctly.

39. impheris

impheris

sorry, but are you saying that deformers / excluder are not compatible with the water system 22 LTS?

40. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

It's not really about compatibility (it could work in theory), it has just been implemented later and couldn't be backported since it's a new features and not a fix.

41. impheris

impheris

so, it does not work, then the water system is most compatible or functional on 2023

chap-unity likes this.
  42. GXMark

GXMark

upload_2023-9-13_19-11-9.png

I'm getting this issue with the new unity water system on 2023.1.12f1

Everything seems great accept looking up inside the pool from under the water. As you can see its not rendering the transparency completely underside. Any ideas whats causing this?

FYI : The unity pool sample does the same thing.

P.S. From my readings this is done on purpose and called total internal reflection. Can it be disabled?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  43. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

It's Indeed what's called total internal reflection and it's an effect that happens in real life when looking at a a grazing angle, might tends to bounce instead of being refracted.

Currently, it cannot be disabled in the HDRP Water System.

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  44. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Ah thank you, I was discussing this yesterday after seeing it in an old game recently and saying that Unity's water system has that, I kept thinking is was the open roof in the first room of the HDRP demo scene. Silly me.

45. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

The main reason why it can look "weird" is currently we rely only on SSR / Raytracing for the total internal reflection of underwater and cannot fallback on reflection probes like the regular HDRP reflection fallback hierarchy (like when you are above water for example). This is mainly why it looks "flat" mostly.

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  46. KLGames8207

KLGames8207

Shader error in 'Shader Graphs/Water': undeclared identifier '_SurfaceGradientResolveNormal_df1ef2108a5245e3bb0489b02997e1a0_NormalOutput_2_Vector3' at line 414 (on d3d11)

Compiling Subshader: 0, Pass: GBufferTesselation, Domain program with WATER_ONE_BAND
    Platform defines: SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS
    Disabled keywords: DEBUG_DISPLAY PROCEDURAL_INSTANCING_ON SHADER_API_GLES30 STEREO_INSTANCING_ON UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_UNIFIED_SHADER_PRECISION_MODEL UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING WATER_THREE_BANDS WATER_TWO_BANDS _ADD_PRECOMPUTED_VELOCITY _DOUBLESIDED_ON _SURFACE_TYPE_TRANSPARENT _TESSELLATION_PHONG _TRANSPARENT_WRITES_MOTION_VEC

unity 2022.3.0 hdrp :( water cant see on editor and on game window

47. KLGames8207

KLGames8207

the water system working under unity 2022.3.0? or just in unity 2023?

48. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

2022 lts+

49. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

it's maybe a shadergraph import issue, could you try to open the graph and save it ?

KLGames8207 likes this.
  50. KLGames8207

KLGames8207

That was the first, but the same