Search Unity

How to set up Cinemachine camera transition trigger volumes?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by GerPronouncedGrr, Apr 4, 2020.

1. GerPronouncedGrr

GerPronouncedGrr

I'd like to set up a camera system where each scene has a number of static cameras, and any camera can take priority based on where the player character is standing, e.g. when they enter a specific trigger volume. For example, you enter a scene and camera 1 has priority. You then move down an alleyway and camera 2 takes priority. The cameras don't move, just the characters. One example I can think of that uses this type of system are the older Final Fantasy games, like 7, 8, and 9.

I've heard that Cinemachine can change camera priority based on trigger volumes but I can't figure out how to do this or find a video tutorial of any kind, everything seems to focus on animation states. If anyone can explain how to do this simply or link to a video/article I would be grateful.

2. PrernaSharma

PrernaSharma

In the CM example scenes, there's a demo showing turning/on/off cameras based on collision volumes. It's super fast to setup volumes to trigger cameras on and off based on player position in the world.

On the CM 'Brain' which is on the main Unity camera, there's the Custom Blends section where you can define how any two cameras blend together, with defaults and wildcard support so it's easy to manage them.

We watch the CM forums if you have more questions: https://forum.unity.com/forums/cinemachine.136/
    I am learning camera triggers at : CIDM Photography

3. GerPronouncedGrr

GerPronouncedGrr

Thank you! I didn't realise the example scenes had to be installed separately.

4. danpos2506

danpos2506

I've put a few videos together on this: