Search Unity

Question How to set Motion Blur Intensity according to physics

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by eliphat, Feb 20, 2023.

1. eliphat

eliphat

For example, I have a camera with 1/60s shutter speed at 60fps. What intensity should I set?
    It seems that `1` is far from enough. By my eyes I think it should be around `6`. What is the correct value for this?
    Also, I have some weird results even with very high intensity at 12 where the foregound fast object is blurred a lot, but it is not quite blurring outside the object, making contents blurry yet the movement is still chunky and jittery. (Two consecutive frames shown.) Worst of both worlds with and without blur.
    I have just upgraded from the built-in pipeline. I think the HDRP motion blur is not as helpful as in PPv2.
    upload_2023-2-21_0-16-32.png upload_2023-2-21_0-16-39.png

2. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

If you have shown the advanced options ( three vertical ...) you should be able to see the Velocity min and max values.

These values are scalars for the intensity value. if you're working with physics-based velocities, you may be able to calculate the intensity based on the formulas there.

for a camera/design perspective and your sensor size/focal length/shutter speeds you should be able to better tune the resulting blur per frame.

there are also options to clamp velocity and include camera motion into the velocity calculations, you may or may not require these based on the goal you wish to achieve.