Search Unity

How to set location of object relative to another object without it jittering/stuttering/jerking

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by HopelessHyena, Sep 30, 2015.

1. HopelessHyena

HopelessHyena

Hi Everyone,

I have an AI character which has a nav mesh agent component to it, which moves around the scene and attacks the player.

I need to have another object look like it's attached to the AI character as it moves around; but for various reasons I cannot parent it.

The problem is, calling object.transform.position = aICharacterNavAgent.transform.position; on every update results in jerky movement.

How can I get around this jerky movement without parenting it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Shouldn't do, have you tried LateUpdate?

Otherwise you can abuse Lerp like this to create a smoothing effect.

Code (CSharp):
    1. transform.position = Vector3.Lerp(transform.position, target.position, Time.deltaTime * speed);
    The effect should be somewhat like a spring, pulling the object a little closer to target each frame. And the pull will be stronger the further away the object is from target.

3. HopelessHyena

HopelessHyena

I have tried using LateUpdate, and it did not work - it had exactly the same effect as a regular update.
    It may be worth mentioning that the object which I am repositioning has a rigid body component, and is set to kinematic. (I am therefore using object.MovePosition(...))

Wouldn't using Lerp be redundant since this is supposed to update every frame?

4. HopelessHyena

HopelessHyena

Any other suggestions as to what I could do?