Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to set iPad Pro splash screen?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Morgan, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Morgan

Morgan

I plan to submit an app update with a special expanded UI for the iPad Pro now, long any of my testers own an iPad Pro.

iTunes Connect says my existing app already supports iPad Pro, so I guess native 2048x2732 is likely to "just work," which is great!

But what about the iPad Pro splash screen? How can I set that?

Thanks in advance!

2. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

iPad Pro uses Xib launch screens.

3. Morgan

Morgan

Thanks. Thus far I've avoided directly making those :) Does that mean a splash image cannot be set within Unity?

(Does anyone know—If that splash is not set, does that mean Apple won't consider it iPad Pro-ready?)

4. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Unity 5.2 can set launch screen xib for ipads. The only downside is that it's no longer possible to support different images for different orientations due to fundamental limitations of xib files.

5. jcarpay

jcarpay

What happens if launch screens aren't set with xib? Does Xcode revert to the default Unity Personal launch screen automatically for iPad Pro or does it use and scale the existing (legacy) iPad launch screen?

6. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Legacy launch image are used.

7. Morgan

Morgan

Thanks. Can Unity set launch screen xib for iPad Pro? I'm not seeing that--only options for iPhone and iPad.

8. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Please check out "iPad Launch Screen" section. Select "Image and background (relative size)". Note that iPad launch screens do not support different images for portrait and landscape.

Morgan likes this.
  9. Morgan

Morgan

Thanks, povilas! I think I'm zeroing in on the misunderstanding... I'm talking about the iPad Pro.

The procedure you outline is what I already do, and works great on iPad. It does NOT allow me to set an iPad Pro launch screen, though. So it displays (at least in the Simulator) the iPad Air launch screen zoomed up, which looks poor.

I'm not seeing a slot in Unity for iPad Pro launch screens--only options for iPhone and iPad.

Can it be done? Workaround in Xcode?

(For some apps, zooming up the non-Pro image could be OK, albeit blurry. But my splash screen is a wireframe of the app UI, and the Pro shows giant controls in the splash screen, not matching the custom Pro UI that then appears. One good thing: portrait vs landscape aren't relevant to my app—so that problem is dodged.)

10. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

In that case you should use Custom XIB option -- it fits your use-case precisely.

11. Morgan

Morgan

Oops, I realize that "wireframe" has a technical meaning I did not intend!

My splash screen is simply a PNG: I manually Photoshopped a version of my Unity UI with a monochrome "outline style," but it's still just a PNG. Or three PNGs as the case may be: one shared by all iPhones, one for iPad, and one for iPad Pro.

I there a place to specify an iPad Pro PNG, the way you can for iPhone and iPad?

12. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

No, unfortunately. Xcode does not provide a way to do that.

Morgan likes this.
  13. Morgan

Morgan

Thanks. Doesn't Unity make the xib out of the PNG automatically for non-iPad Pros? I didn't need to do anything in Xcode for the iPhone and non-Pro iPads.

I think what I'm being clueless about is this: what's different between how easy it was to make a PNG splash for iPad (even in the new way), vs. for iPad Pro? Something Apple needs to fix before Unity can support it, maybe?

14. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Yes, if you set an image in "iPad Launch Screen" section, then Unity will create a XIB file that includes that single image and aspect fills the entire area. Note that there's no way in Xcode to support both landscape and portrait using XIB, so you need to be a bit creative in what to put in the image if you want to support both orientations.

Morgan likes this.
  15. Morgan

Morgan

Yep, that's what I've been doing. Works fine for non-Pro iPads.

But can I assume you cannot set a launch screen for iPad Pro specifically? You can only specify an iPad Launch Screen and it will be unavoidably used for the Pro as well as other iPads?

The iPad Pro is the model I'm specifically wondering about; if it can't have its own launch screen, then I'll let that bit of polish wait.

16. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Yes, that's correct.

Morgan likes this.