Search Unity

How to set component data of other entity inside job?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by lijianfeng, Aug 1, 2019.

1. lijianfeng

lijianfeng

I use PhysicsWorld.CastRay inside job get other rigidBody entity,and I need to set component data of this rigidBody entity,how do I accomplish this?

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

Use EntityCommandBuffer.Concurrent, pass it to the job upon job creation.

3. lijianfeng

lijianfeng

Use EntityCommandBuffer.Concurrent will take effect later,not immediately. forexample, if I will set other entity healthpoint component in this job useEntityCommandBuffer ,and following another system handle healthpoint update,it will not see the healthpoint change immediately because of commandbuffer replay happens later and it can only see the change in the next system update,this will cause one frame delay!:eek:

4. xVergilx

xVergilx

It will. But in reality, you do not need everything to happen instantly.

5. tertle

tertle

Use ComponentDataFromEntity

It'll be much faster than EntityCommandBuffer just have to be single threaded job though (or split your your jobs and group entities into hashmap if you're doing more than 1 raycast)

6. lijianfeng

lijianfeng

any sample code to use hashmap to do it?

7. tertle

tertle

say you have a job where each thread does a raycast and returns an entity. instead of working on the results straight away you can store it in a native(multi)hashmap<entity, X>

then you can use the IJobNativeMultiHashMapVisitKeyValue to process the results which would guarantee that if different queries hit the same entity they would be processed on the same thread so you can safely modify the entity within this job.

if I remember i'll write a very short example up tomorrow

GameDeveloper1111 and ADHDCoder like this.