Search Unity

How to set Auto Generate Lighting to off by default

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MartinCA, Aug 12, 2019.

1. MartinCA

MartinCA

Title pretty much summarizes the question.

The documentation mentions this setting is enabled by default when creating a new scene - which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Been scouring the settings panels and googling this for a while now and couldn't find any decisive answer. Only mention I found is by setting Graphics->LightMap/Fog modes to custom.

Is there any non project obtrusive way to do this? Don't want to change project settings, I just want it to stop baking lightmaps on my editor instance on my machine.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Create new scene, disable this setting, save scene as "New Scene Template" or similar. Whenever you would create a new scene, open this scene instead and immediately save it under a new name before making changes.

3. MartinCA

MartinCA

Thanks for the suggestion but this is not applicable sadly :(. I'm working on build pipeline automation at the moment and the scenes are already all set up and I can't modify them. This especially sucks when testing because the auto baking likes kicking it at random on scene transitions making everything unresponsive. (and wasting my time because I keep forgetting it's back on again because the scene changed)

I mean, I could disable it in the scenes and save the changes for the sake of testing (or like I already did change it in the project settings to force baking off) but that just adds a headache of having to make sure I don't accidentally commit those changes.

If this editor behavior is truly saved in the scene itself and there isn't even a way to override it in the editor then that is some backwards design. *sigh*

Regardless, appreciate the input.

4. Baste

Baste

I think this has been turned off by default in the newest versions of Unity. Just started a new 2019.2 project, and while the sample scene has auto generate turned on, hitting "new scene" has it turned off.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. ccvannorman

ccvannorman

As of 2019.4 today, this is still a critical issue that Unity failed to address. Lightmapping on by default is just plain wrong. Please fix it Unity.

6. eovento

eovento

I can't even understand why "auto generate" is not completely removed. Does anyone actually use it? (If so, please do yourself a favor and just stop. :D )

And yes, I agree with @MartinCA, it's a design step back. 2019.3 doesn't do this. 2019.4 started doing this again, like in 2017 version.

tzdevil and sp-LeventeLajtai like this.
  7. forestrf

forestrf

auto generate is quite useful when it works: it lets us quickly iterate the lightmap while moving lights and changing its settings. But when we are done with the iteration, disabling it is needed as entering in play mode and other stuff restarts the baking...