Search Unity

How to select Art Style for a game?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Aseemy, Jul 9, 2020.

?

Which art style do you prefer?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2020.
  1. Polygonal/Faceted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Medium Poly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aseemy

Aseemy

Hi, I have started work on my turn based JRPG. I was planning on working with Polygonal Style like this package
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/creatures/polygonal-creatures-pack-116781

But i see that another game with a turn based battle system uses a similar style.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/

The game is 2 year old and by the time i publish my game it will e 3-4 year old. This art style is good for my game as its faster to model and for my budget and team size that is a must. Except for turn based battle system, our games wont be similar in any other way.

Is it wise to choose this art style? Its definitely not a unique style and has been used in many other games. but would users who have played For The King just skip through my game if it has a similar look and feel?

Another option for art style is this pack by the same team
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag.../monsters-ultimate-pack-01-cute-series-167028

My game will not have high quality models/textures. I need to create a demo for the game using one of these packs and based on how good the demo looks i will replace these models with exclusive assets made for my game.

Which art style would you guys like in a small (8-10 hours of gameplay) indie game?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

I don't think it will be a problem. Pretty much every mobile game looks like this now. And by tweaking your scene lighting, you can end up with a completely different look and feel between two games, even if they were using the same 3D models.

Also, I generally consider 3D models to be fairly replaceable. Early on in your project, use whatever you can cheaply get your hands on. Later you can swap out just the 3D models if you want to. Swapping out 3D models shouldn't be a bit deal, technically speaking, within the broader scope of your project. So maybe in two years you'll decide you don't like the models anymore, and you'll hire an artists to make new models, or find another asset pack for sale. It should be simple to replace the models later.

So, I wouldn't worry about it for now, aside from now sinking a ton of effort into hand-making your own 3D models until you've 100% nailed down your art style.

3. Aseemy

Aseemy

Thanks. I was planning to get the modelling done in parallel. Need to model the environment as well. If i go for the faceted art style then i need the environment to match. I want to make the game as fast as possible, but i understand that if do that then it might mean some decisions might end up being costly to change later on.

Need to plan properly