Search Unity

How to see an overview of all released versions and changelogs of a package?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Xarbrough, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I find the new packages system a little confusing in regards to which versions of a package actually exist for a specific Unity version. It appears, that development for most of the packages happens on multiple release branches for different Unity versions in parallel and I would like to get an overview of what is being worked on (and fixed) in which version.

For example: 2D Animation

I'm on Unity 2019.1.8f1, in the package manager window, I see that there are a couple of versions: preview.2 - 2.1.0 to preview.7 - 2.1.0. Clicking on the changelog link takes me to this page. The link in the browser address bar indicates that this page is for version 2.1 and the sidebar lists version 1.0.15-preview to 2.1.0-preview.7.

When I look into the packages manual page and click the 2D animation link, it takes me to this page. Here, the address bar indicates that the documentation is referring to version 2.2 of the package and the introduction says that it is only compatible with Unity 2019.2. So it appears, that when I upgrade Unity, I get access to a new release branch with potential fixes or changes.

All of this is, at the moment, relatively hard to track down. I still haven't found a clear overview of which features or bug fixes relate to specific versions of Unity.

Am I missing some crucial starting page anywhere in the docs or does Unity need to improve the documentation to make it more clear?

2. Adrian

Adrian

Yeah, this is hard to navigate right now. Would be great if the package documentation could link to other versions of the documentation, like the main Unity docs do. Even better would be to have only the manual/api reference depend on the version but have the changelog always come from the latest version.

@Xarbrough One little trick is to replace the version with "latest" in the url and remove everything that follows, i.e.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.2d.animation@latest
    Will redirect you to the latest available documentation for that package.

Xarbrough likes this.