Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to scale the bone in unity ?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by james14123, Mar 16, 2017.

1. james14123

james14123

Hi everyone !
    I'm doing the job about the body characterization.According to this, i have tried to use bones and shape keys.Some problems have appeared when i used the bone to do the scaling, In blender, i prepared the scaling bone animation and exported to unity. But when the animation played, the body did't scale but just move up.
    I think the bone (humanoid) in unity just can do the position move. So the scale animation doesn't work.

I also tried to use shape key to do the scaling.If the change part is small, the shape key may can do it well.
    But like the whole body scaling, shape keys only deform the mesh. The bone still stay in the original position.
    So when i move the bone, the mesh will mess up.

Is there any method can do the bone (single or multi) scaling in unity ?

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Scale=bad usually.

Try with generic setup instead. Either generic or legacy is more friendly to scaling, although - it's not advisable to scale an entire character by scaling the bones.

Also search the forums about this, several older posts mention bone scaling, and the rules/restrictions haven't really changed related to scaling hierarchies with animation.

3. james14123

james14123

Thanks for the advices. Now i can scale the bone size with the generic setup.
    I will try to use each scaling bones and shape keys to scale the whole body.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Aldrick

Aldrick

I'm trying to use animation with scaling bones recently.I am testing a simple structure,i.e.,there are two bones in a skinned mesh,the child bone(a dummy object) of which has scaling animation,and the distance between the two bones changes as well.So far it looks correct in Unity.I found scaling animation datas are recorded in the .anim file correctly,so are the position animation datas of it.So I would assume scaling bone animation can work on simple skeletons like the one I do.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. JointWater

JointWater