Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to save player data on a server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Chefix, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Chefix

Chefix

Hello.

I wanted to ask how should I be saving player data like inventory, position, stats, etc. on a server.

Let's assume a scenario where the player is playing the game, and he picks up an item off the ground and now it should be added to his inventory. How am I supposed to update the server to add this item to the player's inventory?

The only way I know of to implement this system is a RESTful POST request to the server once an item needs to be added to the player's inventory that is saved in a database.

But if the game revloves around constantly picking up items, then the server would be bombarded with POST requests constantly.

Is there a better way to hold a player's data on a server in real time?

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Yes, any realtime networking library such as Netcode for GameObjects, Fish-Networking, Mirror, Photon, ... supports synchronizing variables via UDP messages. POST isn't suitable for realtime games. It can be used to persist a player's state to a database after each level (for example) or whenever the flow of the game is slowed or interrupted, eg user entering a shop, dungeon or similar.