Search Unity

How to run Unity on mobile browsers?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by dsantamonica, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dsantamonica

dsantamonica

At a Unity event yesterday, Unity Evangelists told me that I could run Unity in browsers on mobile phones using “Tiny” or “Universal RP.” After a lot of searching, I finally learned that Tiny is not currently available and Universal RP was renamed to LightweightRP.

I made a new project with LightweighRP and published the sample scene, but all mobile browsers gave the error message “Unity WebGL is not currently supported on mobiles.”

What do I have to do to run Unity on mobile browsers?

JoeStrout likes this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Supposedly the warning about WebGL is not supported on mobile can be disabled, but that won't change the fact mobile platforms are specifically not supported at this time, even though it might still run depending on the hardware/software specs of the device.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/webgl-browsercompatibility.html

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

One important thing to understand about the new features they're constantly talking about lately is that some of them are only available on the beta and alpha releases, or are only available as a preview package in the package manager. If you're not seeing the package you need to enable preview packages.

If you still don't see a package after turning that on you may need to download a newer release or a testing release.

Unity Tiny is available for Unity 2018.3 and up. Instructions on how to enable preview packages as well as how to set it up are available at the link below.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.tiny@0.13/manual/installing-tiny.html

Universal RP is the correct name but it started life as the Lightweight RP meaning there will be tons of references for the old name all over the place and you'll most likely have to search for both when you want to find new information.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.