Search Unity

How to run multiple hosts on single server? UNET

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Gorgor, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Gorgor

Gorgor

Hi,
    we are currently using UNET in simple mobile game where players can connect each other to fight together in groups agains monsters. So one of players is a host and other joins him. However we would like to take a step further and make our own dedicated server as host for all clients. What I am struggling to figure out is how to run multiple hosts on the dedicated server so everyone can joint his own game? It is easy to run single host on the server but we do not want every player connect to the same game. We need somehow tell UNET to create a new host for some players while let others join already existing host ( if they want to join the group and not create a new one). All these hosts must run on the same server (dedicated on VPS). Can someone help us? All I found out is the "visibility" feature of UNET which could serve as workaround solutions ( restrict what players can see and cannot see). But this would be quite a mess as all the clients would connect to single host and he must then manage what each client can see and what cannot, all running in one unity scene! There must be a better solution for this.

2. Gorgor

Gorgor

Anyone?

3. jaybdemented

jaybdemented

4. Gorgor

Gorgor

5. Jos-Yule

Jos-Yule

Each server would be its own instance of the game application running in its own process.

6. spark-man

spark-man

Did you found solution?

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Launch multiple server instances each listening on a different port. When I do this I setup the dedicated servers as headless builds and specify the port number to use as a command line argument to the server when it launches.

8. tonythadee

tonythadee

hey, I'm using Mirror to do my networking. but as this post states, matchmaking is still an issue. I've seen tutorials on matchmaking on YouTube but even with Mirror's matchId property, collisions still occur between gameobjects that I'm trying to separate by match ( i suppose since I'm only running a single server instance ). I'm assuming there may not be a workaround and that using separate ports is the answer, but if anyone has a solution for using the same server instance for multiple matches it'd really be helpful.