Search Unity

How to run an application in VR mode with a Windows Mixed Reality headset ?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Snake9, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Snake9

Snake9

Hi,

I'm trying to make my first app for Windows Mixed Reality headset but I am facing an issue.

I build the app on Local Machine, but when I run it through the Mixed Reality Portal with the headset, I see the application in a window instead of seeing it in VR mode. (see screenshot in attachments)
    I don't figure out what I did wrong.

In build settings I have :
    target device : any device
    build type : D3D
    sdk : latest installed
    visual studio version : visual studio 2017
    build and run on : local machine
    build configuration : debug

And I have checked Virtual Reality Supported in XR Settings with "Windows Mixed Reality" value. You can see my configuration in attachments.

How to see the app in VR mode instead of Window mode ?

Thanks in advance

EDIT :
    Finally I succeeded to make it work.
    I don't know why it didn't work previously, but I was working on Unity 2018.2.

I have reinstalled Visual Studio Community and Unity 2017.4.9 and recreated the project with this version, and it worked. Maybe there is an issue with 2018.2 or I had some missing components in Visual Studio, I don't know...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Hello Snake, it appears from what I can make out in your first screenshot that the app failed to create a holographic space and that is why it reverted to a 2D flat application. I think rebuilding and redeploying the app may have fixed whatever didn't work the first time and that's why it started working. There can be various reasons to have it fail to create that, if it starts happening more frequently feel free to file a new bug with us and we can look at your project.

May I ask what reason you have UWP remoting enabled on a Mixed Reality Headset? That feature is geared toward Hololens development. You can read about it here https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/05/30/create-enhanced-3d-visuals-with-holographic-emulation-in-uwp/

3. Snake9

Snake9

Hi,

Thanks for these informations.

I don't remember why I checked "UWP remoting" but I think I checked it during my tests to try to find what went wrong. I probably made a build with and another build without this feature, to see the difference, because I didn't know if this was the source of the issue I had. But it was 3 months ago so I don't remember very well lol, sorry !

JasonCostanza likes this.
  4. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Fair enough, I can barely remember what I did 2 days ago so I can relate. Let us know if you hit any other troubles!