Search Unity

How to rotate a cube from within a component system?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by ryancole, Nov 11, 2018.

1. ryancole

ryancole

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn ECS by trial and error. I'm looking at various code samples, documentation and youtube videos. I'm just messing around with the pure ECS approach. I've got an entity archetype that has a position and rotation. It renders as a cube. I've got a rotation system that I am just trying to make the cube constantly rotate in place. I've looked at the rotation sample code, from the official unity sample repo, but when I replicate the math logic for rotating I get run-time errors (something about invalid AABB result).

Here is the code for my rotation system. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? I'm not using the job component system.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using Unity.Entities;
    3. using Unity.Transforms;
    4. using Unity.Mathematics;
    6. namespace CubeWorld.Systems
    7. {
    8.     public class PlayerRotationSystem : ComponentSystem
    9.     {
    10.         [Inject]
    11.         private PlayerRotationSystemData m_data;
    13.         #region Methods
    15.         protected override void OnUpdate()
    16.         {
    17.             var time = Time.deltaTime;
    19.             for (var i = 0; i < m_data.Length; i++)
    20.             {
    21.                 var rotation = m_data.Rotations[i];
    23.                 m_data.Rotations[i] = new Rotation
    24.                 {
    25.                     Value = math.mul(math.normalize(rotation.Value), quaternion.AxisAngle(math.up(), 20 * time))
    26.                 };
    27.             }
    28.         }
    30.         #endregion
    31.     }
    33.     public struct PlayerRotationSystemData
    34.     {
    35.         #region Values
    37.         public readonly int Length;
    38.         public ComponentDataArray<Rotation> Rotations;
    40.         #endregion
    41.     }
    42. }
    I've tried other equations too, but none have managed to get the cube to rotate.

Gekigengar likes this.
  2. pahe

pahe

I think you're missing to tell the entityManager to set your components data. Try something like:

Code (CSharp):
    1.             var time = Time.deltaTime;
    2.             var entityManager = World.Active.GetOrCreateManager<EntityManager>();
    3.             for (var i = 0; i < m_data.Length; i++)
    4.             {
    5.                 var rotation = m_data.Rotations[i];
    6.                 var entityWithRotation = m_data.Entities[i];
    7.                 var newRotation = new Rotation
    8.                 {
    9.                     Value = math.mul(math.normalize(rotation.Value), quaternion.AxisAngle(math.up(), 20 * time))
    10.                 };
    12.                 PostUpdateCommands.SetComponent(entityWithRotation, newRotation);
    13.             }
    14.         }
    You've got to add: [ReadOnly] public EntityArray Entites; to your PlayerRotationSystemData too.

3. ryancole

ryancole

Hmm. OK. I added that new EntityArray and am using PostUpdateCommands. I'm just getting a bunch of errors when I run it. Errors mostly regarding the following ...

Code (CSharp):
    1. Invalid AABB result
    2. UnityEngine.Graphics:DrawMesh(Mesh, Matrix4x4, Material, Int32, Camera, Int32, MaterialPropertyBlock, ShadowCastingMode, Boolean)
    3. Unity.Rendering.MeshInstanceRendererSystem:RenderBatch(Int32, Int32) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.19/Unity.Rendering.Hybrid/MeshInstanceRendererSystem.cs:643)
    4. Unity.Rendering.MeshInstanceRendererSystem:UpdateDynamicInstanceRenderer() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.19/Unity.Rendering.Hybrid/MeshInstanceRendererSystem.cs:618)
    5. Unity.Rendering.MeshInstanceRendererSystem:OnUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.19/Unity.Rendering.Hybrid/MeshInstanceRendererSystem.cs:825)
    6. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystem:InternalUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.19/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystem.cs:374)

4. 5argon

5argon

pahe and ryancole like this.
  5. ryancole

ryancole

I do have the mesh instance renderer - I'm using the prefab approach, and it's my understanding that when I add the mesh instance renderer to the prefab and then pull components off the prefab that the mesh instance renderer is included due to that.

OK. I'll try downgrading. I'm using the 2019 alpha.

6. ryancole

ryancole

5argon likes this.
  7. ryancole

ryancole

Actually, I'm not experiencing that issue. The `math.normalize` method was just returning NaN. I had to instead use `math.normalizesafe`.

Code (CSharp):
    1. protected override void OnUpdate()
    2. {
    3.     var time = Time.deltaTime;
    5.     for (var i = 0; i < m_data.Rotations.Length; i++)
    6.     {
    7.         var current = m_data.Rotations[i].Value;
    8.         var desired = math.mul(math.normalizesafe(current), quaternion.AxisAngle(math.up(), time));
    10.         m_data.Rotations[i] = new Rotation { Value = desired };
    11.     }
    12. }