Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

How to return control to physics

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by nepoez, Nov 10, 2017.

1. nepoez

nepoez

Hi. If I animated a character throwing a ball do I have to animated the balls entire animation? Or can I at some point disengage timeline from controlling the ball and let physics take over?

e.g. I animated a character's throw animation.. I animate the ball going along the same path as the arm, then when throw animation is over I animate the ball flying at a certain direction.

At some point the ball will hit a wall and bound and gravity also should affect it, however animating all that would be a pain, it would be good if I can let physics take complete control after the ball leaves the hand.

How would we do that in Timeline?

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

If the last clip has no PostExtrapolation, then timeline will have no weight afterwords. You could write a custom script that enables physics on the ball and sets the appropriate force and place it in timeline after the throw animation.

nepoez likes this.
  3. nepoez

nepoez

How about parenting. Let's say I want the ball to be parented to the character's hand for some time.. then when thrown I want it to be unparented. Then later on the character picks up the ball again so I need to parent it again. Would I also write a custom script for the timeline for that?

Thank you.

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, that could work as well. The DefaultPlayables on the asset store has a track that tweens between transforms. You can use that as example to make a track that reparents.

unityunity