Search Unity

How to restart a ECS scene with physics

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by gmentat, Oct 19, 2020.

1. gmentat

gmentat

I'm trying to implement a Restart button for a user in a ECS scene with physics (Havok).

The world is mostly setup in a scene from the start. So I want to reset everything in the scene and run it again. Here's what I came up with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var entityManager = Unity.Entities.World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld.EntityManager;
    3. entityManager.DestroyEntity(entityManager.UniversalQuery);
    4. Unity.Entities.World.DisposeAllWorlds();
    5. DefaultWorldInitialization.Initialize("Default World", false);
    7. SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name, LoadSceneMode.Single);
    I launch it from a coroutine as some people suggested in the forums.

It kinda works but the simulation is accelerated after the restart in the editor for a second and runs at about 5 FPS on an Android device (60 at start).

What am I doing wrong and how to properly implement a restart-scene button in ECS?

2. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

You don't really need to dispose all worlds and initialize again, just destroying all entities should give the desired results

petarmHavok likes this.
  3. gmentat

gmentat

Thanks brunocoimbra. Removing the world disposal seems to be doing the trick.

Code (CSharp):
    1. var entityManager = Unity.Entities.World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld.EntityManager;
    2. entityManager.DestroyEntity(entityManager.UniversalQuery);
    3. SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name, LoadSceneMode.Single);