Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

How to report hangs that only occur occasionally?

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by DougRichardson, Oct 16, 2018.

1. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

I've been experiencing occasional editor hangs in 2018.3.0b5. Unfortunately, I have not been able to isolate the hangs in a reproducible test project, nor even reproduce the problem reliably in my own project.

So far, I have reported hangs with a mini dump attached (created with Process Explorer). The full dump is over 2.5GB which is why I've been using mini dumps instead.

That said, I'm not sure how useful the mini dumps are or if there is better information I can collect when the hangs occur.

Please advise.

M_R likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just report it regardless via bug reporter and explain the situation, as soon as it next crashes so the unity editor logs will contain the data :)

You can clear the editor logs before doing it too if you want to.

3. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

Just to be clear, I'm talking about hangs (aka deadlocks or main thread being blocked for a long time), not crashes.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Have you profiled where it happens?
    Also take a peek at the editor log - it can often report things that look out of place there.

5. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

Yes. I assume by profiling you mean attaching to the Unity process with a debugger like Visual Studio, rather than the Editor Profiler within Unity (since the Editor Profiler does not work when Unity is hung). I was able to discover the cause of one hang by attaching to the editor with visual studio. In that case, the hang was triggered by the interaction of two assets in my project + the latest beta of unity, but since one of the assets C# call was in the stack, I was able to track it down.

And yes, I monitor the editor logs extensively (always have a window open tailing Editor.log).

My main question in this thread, however, wasn't about debugging and resolving specific hangs, but rather if there was any information I could collect for Unity that would be useful when a hang does occur. The reason I mentioned "occasional hang" is that if it was reproducible, I would just send the reproducible case to them and that would be good enough, but if it isn't 100% reproducible, what, if anything, can I collect that may help them get to the bottom of the hangs.

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Doing that and sending us the callstack after breaking execution during the hang is probably the best info you can provide us with in addition to the regular bug report ingredients.