Search Unity

Bug How to report ECS bugs so they aren't ignored? Should we make a Community Issue Tracker or a Fork?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by mischa2k, Jun 5, 2020.

1. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey guys, while working on DOTSNET I keep running into more and more ECS bugs.

Some of them I'd consider critical, like "Invalid IL Code" within ForEach queries and IndexOutOfRangeExceptions in the Physics system.

When I report bugs with the built in bug reporter, they are ignored.
    When I report bugs on the forum, they are ignored.
    As I understand, there is no public issue tracker.

Overall ECS has been great to work with, especially since we can fix some of the bugs ourselves now.
    But at the level of "Invalid IL Code" bugs, it starts to become difficult.

So my questions are:
    1. How do I report an ECS bug? The two obvious methods both don't work, and opening 10 more issues with the built in bug reporter is a waste of time since they all get ignored anyway.
    2. Why is there no official issue tracker on Github? It would greatly reduce everyone's frustration levels, and community members could share hotfixes among each other since we get all the ECS code. Unity could do their own fixes or use our fixes. Either way, at least we have a way to deal with bugs.
    3. Should we create community issue tracker? Unity must have their reasons to not want one. But the community is large and we definitely need one. Creating an issue tracker on Github is free and Unity could take over any time they want.

What about a community Fork?
    Additionally, what if we not only create a community issue tracker, but also an Entities Community Fork?
    We could both track issues, and fix issues, without touching anything else so we can keep updating to the latest Unity.Entities version.

It's a bit worrisome that the community has to worry about issue trackers or stable forks at all.
    But besides switching to unreal, what are the options?

Stability has been everyone's biggest pain point with Unity.
    Public issue trackers + community hot fixes are finally possible with ECS.
    I just don't understand why this is not being done :(

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    elJoel, NotaNaN, Zylkowski_a and 6 others like this.
  2. Enzi

Enzi

I know how it usually goes but bugs and everything ECS and Burst are definitely not ignored here when you post them. With repo you can expect it to be fixed in the next release.

Orimay and MNNoxMortem like this.
  3. mischa2k

mischa2k

Got a response to my first bug report:
    2020-06-17_11-04-39.png
    :/

4. May I ask you what gave you the impression that they are ignored on the forum? I scanned through your posts back until March and you didn't really have just one forum post with the bug tag in the DOTS forums.

The best way to report bugs for DOTS at the moment is here, separate thread with clear subject line and with bug tag. Usually Unity answers, discusses the problems. And it is true for the Physics system as well.

I'm not sure if the official bug reporting way is prepared for DOTS questions just yet. But people like Joachim are usually here and help out with DOTS issues. And I frequently see guys who work on Burst (like xoofx), Physics is covered by steveehavok for example.

So my advice is if you got any problems, open a thread about it here in the DOTS forum with bug tag and ask for help.

I think it is way too early for that. They are just finalizing the basic structure of ECS. SystemBase is barely rolled out as a stable basic API.

Oh and one more thing: I think it is completely unnecessary to get frustrated over ECS. It is an under development package. If you need stability, documentation, official bug support and all those things, you will need to wait for the official release, or at least a little bit more, I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2020
    Krajca likes this.
  5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

>I'm not sure if the official bug reporting way is prepared for DOTS questions just yet. But people like Joachim are >usually here and help out with DOTS issues. And I frequently see guys who work on Burst (like xoofx), Physics is >covered by steveehavok for example.

Official bug reporter is hooked up into our bug workflow as well. But posting here with more context and community feedback from others seeing similar issues can help raise priorities / help better understanding triage.

GDevTeam, Krajca and Lurking-Ninja like this.