Search Unity

How to report a bug when help menu won't open?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krokant17, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Krokant17

Krokant17

I have a bug and I want to report it the proper way, through Help -> Report Bug.
    But there is a problem, the bug itself won't allow that.

There is a message "re-serializing assets..." showing up in a window that instantly will be closed again, but it appears with any action performed. So no action can be performed because this just will repeat again.
    I.e., when trying to click "Help", this message also shows up and prevents me from reporting the bug. When I try to close Unity Editor, it also appears making Force Quit necessary). When restarting Unity or reimporting all assets (I somehow managed that), the problem is still present.

Since I don't know how to report this bug, I just query this into this forum, please consider this not as disrespecting the guidelines.

2. In theory you can access it directly from the Unity install-directory.
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

(I'm not in the front of my Unity-computer at the moment, so I can't check if this information is still correct)

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Try creating an new project... there won't be assets to process.

4. Krokant17

Krokant17

Thanks, you two! :) And sorry if this was the wrong forum :)

I solved the problem by deleting the Library and Temp folders.

Is it advisable to report an issue where you know how to handle it and how would you report both bug and solution? Don't want to expand the dev's workload...

5. Krokant17

Krokant17

Well, the problem returned :(
    But in fact, the Bug Reporter can be started as autonomous program, again thanks for the advise :)

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yes, report it anyway, as you presumably shouldn't have to handle it. Having a known workaround might even make it easier for them to track the cause down.

Kiwasi and QFSW like this.