Search Unity

How to Replace Editor Camera Controller?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by najaa3d, Apr 9, 2022.

1. najaa3d

najaa3d

Is there some way to replace the built-in Unity Camera Controller logic with your own C# version of it?

I have my own Free-Fly and Modeling Camera controller logic in C#, ready to go. I despise Unity's built-in one because it's deficient for my needs.

For example:
    1. Why does it take so many Mouse-wheel flicks to zoom out reasonably -- this should be accelerated -- if Unity can see that I'm doing it fast/rapid -- please give me a higher magnitude (accelerated) result.
    2. More Camera speeds -- 0.1,1,3,10 -- that is not enough choices at all -- why not make this a "slider" tied to float value? (rang 0.01 to 1000).
    3. I want different hot-key/button combos to produce different behaviors. For example, I want to be able to click on something in screen, and then use MiddleMouse button to Rotate Around my LAST CLICK POINT (not the object's center, but the actual physics-collision between MouseRay and scene object mesh point).
    4. Should have a few Camera Modes to choose from, one being "Terrain" -- and in this mode, the Camera Speed becomes semi-proportional to the "distance above ground" -- so if you are 1 mile high - speed should start out being about 1000 mph (accelerated of course, so goes from 1mph to 1000 mph about 1 sec).
    5. SHIFT - should be the speed modifier -- multiples speed by 3.
    6. ALL of the #'s I've stated above should be CONFIGURABLE as Camera Settings.
    7. more stuff....

Main Point is -- the Camera interface to the Editor is CRUCIAL. If this interface is non-appealing to the user, then the WHOLE EDITOR EXPERIENCE is tainted/soured, and for NO GOOD REASON.

Allowing users to optionally replace their Camera Controller per Project (and maybe even default, for a machine) -- is VITAL, and seems like it should be EASY.

This would also then allow people to make Store Assets (for free or purchase) that have camera controllers that mimic various other environments (Sketchup, 3dsMax, Maya, Blender, Visual3D, or customized ones).

2. najaa3d

najaa3d

No bites? This seems like a simple request, given all of the Editor-scriptability built into Unity's Editor. Why not allow us to control the Camera with our own C# script? The current Camera control is too rigid and unconfigurable. This is such a vital aspect of the Unity Editor experience, and seems like it should be an easy thing to make replaceable via some package or scripts.

If you guys won't allow for logic-replacement, then please make the "Right-Click, Scroll-Wheel" speed scaling have a Maximum of 10, at least (currently is 2.0), and make it so that you can adjust this value quicker -- should be accelerated -- slow rolling makes small increments but fast rolling should be exponentially higher... so that with 2 quick rolls of the wheel, speed up the camera from 1.0 to 10.0. (right now takes me about 3-4 swipes up just to get to 2.0, one fast swipe should go to 3.0, the 2nd fast swipe up goes to 10.0).

AND make the acceleration speed up faster. I shouldn't have to wait 5 seconds for it to go fast.... this rate of acceleration maybe should be configurable. I'd also like to see an option for the middle button + drag do a "pivot around whatever your mouse is hovering over".... This makes it butt simple to rotate 90-180 degrees around your focus object (or focal point)... This is how brains think -- I'm looking at something and want to rotate around it. (many modeling programs have this feature as well)

The Unity Camera is one of the most annoying aspects of Unity for me.