Search Unity

Question How to render out post fx on zero alpha background??

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Thall33, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Thall33

Thall33

Using HDRP

My setup is - Cam has background set to black with zero alpha, The recorder is using image sequencing with alpha.

The problem is if there are any transparent surfaces or bloom is in use, it will ONLY work on opaque objects, meaning they wont be in the final render images if its casting on the cameras alpha background

How do it set my HDRP to use postfx and objects using transparent surfaces when there is isn't any opaque objects behind them?

Visual Explanation:

Camera with black color background and zero alpha (You can see the green bloom on the edges from the post fx bloom)

1.png

The rendered image using recorder (bloom is not present) (used a black gradient on background for you to see it better and that's obviously not working)

2.png

Unity, what am I missing here, a tick box, some render order?

newguy123 likes this.
  2. Thall33

Thall33

Betty BOOP!

3. Thall33

Thall33

Just wondering if I'm talking ancient Egyptian or using the wrong terminology. Is there a way to render out bloom post fx over an alpha background or not? UNITY?!

4. Thall33

Thall33

5. PavlosM

PavlosM

Unity Technologies

Hey, thanks for reposting this. You have not missed anything, the bloom effect does not affect the alpha channel. There are a few technical reasons for this (related to how bloom is defined and what the alpha channel represents - for example if bloom "expands" a very bright light to cover/affect the entire frame, it's not clear at all how "bloomy alpha" would make sense, as bloom is defined based on RGB luminance).

What we generally recommend for compositing workflows is to apply bloom in the final frame, after you have done your composition. Would this make sense in your case?

6. Thall33

Thall33

By "final frame" are you talking about adding it through premiere pro in post? Not sure what you mean.

Unfortunately I have multiple meshes animating that require bloomed edges, these meshes interweave, as well has have different emission values. so it would be a manual nightmare to add it in post outside of Unity.

Ideally there needs to be away to do this in some custom render or post processing order - Virtual Production platforms and pipelines both real time and offline assets will need this option

Is there any other kind of hacky way to achieve the result I'm after in Unity right now?

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  7. Thall33

Thall33

BHOOP!