Search Unity

How to render front and back the same? (Render Face = both)

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by DennisWardAltair, Apr 6, 2020.

1. DennisWardAltair

DennisWardAltair

I have a generated mesh from a CAE analysis result I'm rendering that is made up of sheet metal that I'd like to render both back and front faces the same (as I have done with OpenGL in the past by enabling two-sided lighting and disabling backface culling).

I was hopeful that specifying "Render Face = both" would do the trick, but the appearance of the back face is darker and not what I expected. My goal is to have both the front and back faces render the same.

I'm using URP/Lit mesh material, and the images below show the model with Render Face set to both, front, then back. I am hoping that I can somehow find the setting that will allow me to show all polygons as seen in the front image, regardless of their facing direction.

Thanks, Dennis

Here's the screenshots:

Both:

Front:

Back:

2. alexxUID

alexxUID

Have you found a solution for this in URP?
    It seems to me HDRP does is correctly but not URP.

3. DennisWardAltair

DennisWardAltair

I ended up writing a shader to flip back-facing normals in URP. I made a FFNormal subgraph:

ffnormal.png

I used it in my shader as follows:

surface.png

If you find a better way, please let me know!

Thanks, Dennis

alexxUID likes this.
  4. alexxUID

alexxUID

Sorry for the late reply - had no notification on.
    Thanks for that, that is at least some help although does not solve all my problems, since I need a transparent object as well and not just a hard surface.
    I am really confused how this is a problem at all. Is it so uncommon to use double sided stuff? Or are we doing something completely wrong?

Thanks again,

Alex

5. DennisWardAltair

DennisWardAltair

No problem. I was able to also do alpha, but used a variation of this shader (Surface="transparent") and set the alpha value. Other than that, the graph was pretty much the same.

6. se

se

Can someone help me fix this for the "SimpleLit" shader adapting the shader code. My attempt so far is to split the "ForwardLit" pass inside
    SimpleLit.shader
    into 2 passes: "ForwardLitFront" with
    Cull Back
    and "ForwardLitBack" with
    Cull Front
    . For the back pass I then set
    #pragma vertex LitPassVertexSimpleFlipNormal
    . I copied
    LitPassVertexSimple
    inside
    SimpleLitForwardPass.hlsl
    as
    LitPassVertexSimpleFlipNormal
    and added
    input.normalOS = -input.normalOS;
    at the top.

The result is unfortunately that the backface isn't rendered at all now. But it does seem to work in principle. If I remove the front pass the backface is rendered and lit properly. What am I missing so that both passes work at the same time?

7. se

se